Find the maximum tension in the rope problem

In summary, the problem requires finding the maximum tension force that can be applied to the sled without causing the box to slip. A free body diagram with three forces (gravity, normal force, and static friction) is needed to solve the problem, and two free body diagrams may be necessary to fully understand the forces acting on the sled and box system. The solution will involve finding the acceleration of the sled and box, and setting the tension force equal to the maximum static friction force to prevent slipping.
JoshMP

Homework Statement

A horizontal rope pulls a 10kg wood sled across frictionless snow. A 5.0kg wood box rides on the sled. The coefficient of static friction for wood on wood is \mu_s=0.5.

What is the largest tension force for which the box doesn't slip?

Homework Equations

n=Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've got a picture and a free body diagram, with 3 total forces: Gravity defining down, normal force pointing up, and static friction pointed opposite the direction of motion.

I tried setting T equal to static friction but I got the wrong answer.

Can someone talk me through the problem so I know what I'm missing? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your calculations and answer. Then only we are in a position to tell where you went wrong.

JoshMP said:

Homework Statement

A horizontal rope pulls a 10kg wood sled across frictionless snow. A 5.0kg wood box rides on the sled. The coefficient of static friction for wood on wood is \mu_s=0.5.

What is the largest tension force for which the box doesn't slip?

Homework Equations

n=Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've got a picture and a free body diagram, with 3 total forces: Gravity defining down, normal force pointing up, and static friction pointed opposite the direction of motion.
Is this is a free body diagram of the forces acting on the sled, or on the box, or on the sled - box system? You'll need 2 free body diagrams to solve for T. Hint: The box and sled are both accelerating at the same rate.

Related to Find the maximum tension in the rope problem

1. What is the definition of tension in a rope?

Tension is the force exerted by a rope when it is pulled at both ends. It is a measure of the tightness or stiffness of the rope.

2. How do you calculate the maximum tension in a rope problem?

To calculate the maximum tension in a rope problem, you need to know the weight of the object being pulled, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and the frictional force acting on the object. You can then use the formula T = W/sinθ + μWcosθ, where T is the maximum tension, W is the weight of the object, θ is the angle at which the rope is pulled, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the maximum tension in a rope problem?

The maximum tension in a rope problem is affected by the weight of the object being pulled, the angle at which the rope is being pulled, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is being pulled on. Other factors such as the elasticity and strength of the rope can also play a role.

4. Can the maximum tension in a rope problem ever be greater than the weight of the object being pulled?

Yes, the maximum tension in a rope problem can be greater than the weight of the object being pulled. This can happen when the angle at which the rope is being pulled is small, resulting in a larger value for the sinθ term in the tension formula.

5. How can the maximum tension in a rope problem be reduced?

The maximum tension in a rope problem can be reduced by decreasing the weight of the object being pulled, increasing the angle at which the rope is being pulled, or by reducing the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is being pulled on. Using a stronger and more elastic rope can also help reduce the maximum tension.