Find the maximum acceleration and accleration of a mass spring system.

In summary, the problem requires finding the maximum acceleration and velocity, the acceleration and velocity at a displacement of 1.00cm, and the equation of motion as a function of time for an amplitude of 2.00cm at t=0. The given values are a period of 0.500s and a total path length of 4.00cm. To solve for these quantities, we can use the equations x=cos(2\pift) for position as a function of time, (v)max=2\piAf and A/(v)max=\sqrt{m/k}. By finding the frequency to be 2 Hz and plugging it into the (v)max equation, we get a velocity
Interception

Homework Statement

The problem states to find the maximum acceleration and velocity, the accleration and velocity when the displacement (x) is 1.00cm, and the equation of motion as a function of time if the displacement is A (amplitude) at t=0. We're given that the period (T) is 0.500s and the amplitude is 2.00cm with a total path length of 4.00 cm.

Homework Equations

Position as a function of time is given as x=cos(2[itex]\pi[/itex]ft)
(v)max = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]Af
A/(v) max = [itex]\sqrt{m/k}[/itex]
k(spring constant) = m(2[itex]\pi[/itex]f)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the frequency by take 1/0.50 to get 2 Hz. I then plugged into the (v) max equation to get 25.1 m/s. However, how do I find the spring constant and mass which I need to solve for acceleration? I really don't know how to approach this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't need to know the mass and spring constant separately. The quantities you need to calculate only depend on the ratio of the two. If you put in unknowns for them, they'll cancel out.

Related to Find the maximum acceleration and accleration of a mass spring system.

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system composed of a mass attached to a spring, where the mass can move back and forth due to the force of the spring.

2. How do you find the maximum acceleration of a mass spring system?

To find the maximum acceleration of a mass spring system, you need to use the equation a = -k/m * x, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. Plug in the given values and solve for a.

3. What factors affect the maximum acceleration of a mass spring system?

The maximum acceleration of a mass spring system is affected by the spring constant, the mass, and the displacement from equilibrium. A higher spring constant and lower mass will result in a higher maximum acceleration, while a larger displacement will result in a lower maximum acceleration.

4. Can the maximum acceleration of a mass spring system ever be negative?

Yes, the maximum acceleration of a mass spring system can be negative if the displacement from equilibrium is negative. This means that the mass is moving in the opposite direction of the force of the spring, resulting in a negative acceleration.

5. What is the difference between acceleration and maximum acceleration in a mass spring system?

Acceleration refers to the rate of change of velocity, while maximum acceleration refers to the highest possible acceleration that can be achieved in a given system. In a mass spring system, the maximum acceleration occurs when the spring is at its maximum stretch or compression.