Good expositions on quasiconformal mappings and Teichmuller spaces?

• Thread starter Stevo
  • Start date
In summary, the speakers discuss the specialized topic of Teichmuller, which involves Riemann surfaces and conformal mappings between them. They mention that this topic draws together various areas of mathematics such as complex analysis, Banach manifolds, discrete geometry, and algebraic topology. The speaker is looking for additional references on this topic, as there are not many researchers at their university working in this area. They mention two books, but are curious if there are any others available.
Stevo
Any references would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't even remember where I saw the name Teichmuller before, but it's some pretty specialized stuff in topology isn't it? Have you asked someone at your local university?

Well, from what I've encountered, it's concerned with Riemann surfaces and conformal mappings between Riemann surfaces. It seems to draw together a lot of areas of mathematics: classical complex analysis, Banach manifolds, discrete geometry, algebraic topology.

No one at the university I'm attending is doing research in this area. I know of a few books (Ahlfors' lectures on quasiconformal mappings; Gardiner's two books), I'm just wondering if there are any others.

1. What is a quasiconformal mapping?

A quasiconformal mapping is a type of mapping between two spaces that preserves angles, but not necessarily distances. It is a generalization of conformal mappings, which preserve both angles and distances. In other words, a quasiconformal mapping stretches and compresses space, but still maintains the same angles between curves or surfaces.

2. How are quasiconformal mappings related to Teichmuller spaces?

Teichmuller spaces are mathematical spaces that represent all possible shapes of a given surface. Quasiconformal mappings are used to deform one shape into another within a Teichmuller space. This is because quasiconformal mappings can change the shape of a surface while still preserving its essential topological properties.

3. What is the significance of Teichmuller spaces in mathematics?

Teichmuller spaces have applications in many different areas of mathematics, including geometry, topology, and complex analysis. They are particularly useful in studying the properties of Riemann surfaces, which are surfaces that can be described by complex functions. Understanding Teichmuller spaces can provide insights into the geometry and topology of these surfaces.

4. Can quasiconformal mappings be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, quasiconformal mappings can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, there are analogues of Teichmuller spaces for higher dimensional spaces, known as Teichmuller spaces for manifolds. Quasiconformal mappings play a crucial role in these spaces, as they are used to deform manifolds while preserving their essential properties.

5. Are there any practical applications of quasiconformal mappings and Teichmuller spaces?

Yes, there are practical applications of quasiconformal mappings and Teichmuller spaces in various fields such as computer graphics, image processing, and computational geometry. In these applications, quasiconformal mappings are used to deform shapes and surfaces, while Teichmuller spaces provide a framework for analyzing and comparing different deformations.