Find the max and min of trig function without calc or drawing graph

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum and minimum values of a trigonometry function without using calculus or drawing the graph. The solution involves applying transformations to the original domain and range to find a new domain and range. However, there is confusion about whether the range should be the same value for both cos(pi/6) and cos(7pi/6). The expert suggests giving names to things and thinking about the shape of cosine to simplify the problem. They also mention that the minimum of cosine on the interval can only be discovered if one is given that it is -1.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

y = (4/3)cos(x/2 + pi/6) - (2/3)
(0 <= x < 2pi)

Find the maximum and minimum values for the trigonometry function without calculus or drawing the graph.

Basically in the solution they apply the transformations to the domain given in order to find a new domain and range, so I attempted to do the same.

So first I tried to get the new domain, by applying changes to 0 <= x < 2pi

0 <= x < 2pi
pi/6 <= x < 2pi/2 + pi/6

pi/6 <= x/2 + pi/6 < 7pi/6 // until this step is correct, no difficulties here

Now from the new domain I have to find a new range so I find the cos of the x values of the new domain

cos of pi/6 is +(root3)/2

cos of 7pi/6 is +(root3)/2

This is where I am confused because the range is the same value

+(root3)/2 <= cosx <= +(root3)/2

However, if I had gotten this step right what I would have done next is apply the transformations from the given function that apply to the y values. Why is the earlier step wrong though? Can some please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure to have understood what you did, but I advice you if you want to go on this way to give names to things (change of variable) so that you are prevented from mistakes... anyway I think you are complicating things...
Think to the shape of a cosine... you know exactly well the graph (don't need to draw it) and you know where maxima and minima are, as they are properties of the function itself, no need of calculus to know them. Now reason on the function you are given... the 4/3 in front simply amplifies the function without displacing the maxima and minima somewhere else... the 2/3 subtracted as well shifts down vertically the function but again does not displace maxima and minima... therefore you have enough to find the arguments of the cosine to be 0 or 3/2##\pi## and the trick is done... just remember that they can be shifted by ##2\pi## to match the original domain...
I should think this is the easiest way...

needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

y = (4/3)cos(x/2 + pi/6) - (2/3)
(0 <= x < 2pi)

Find the maximum and minimum values for the trigonometry function without calculus or drawing the graph.

Basically in the solution they apply the transformations to the domain given in order to find a new domain and range, so I attempted to do the same.

So first I tried to get the new domain, by applying changes to 0 <= x < 2pi

0 <= x < 2pi
pi/6 <= x < 2pi/2 + pi/6 pi/6 <= x/2 + pi/6 < 7pi/6 // until this step is correct, no difficulties here

Now from the new domain I have to find a new range so I find the cos of the x values of the new domain

cos of pi/6 is +(root3)/2

cos of 7pi/6 is +(root3)/2

This is where I am confused because the range is the same value

+(root3)/2 <= cosx <= +(root3)/2

However, if I had gotten this step right what I would have done next is apply the transformations from the given function that apply to the y values. Why is the earlier step wrong though? Can some please help?

##cos(\frac{7π}{6}) = -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##, the cosine of a third-quadrant angle is negative. For what it's worth, I don't think this problem can be solved without drawing the graph or using calculus unless one is given that the minimum of cosine on the interval ##[\frac{\pi}{6}, \frac{7\pi}{6}]## = -1. How would one discover that otherwise?

Related to Find the max and min of trig function without calc or drawing graph

1. How do I find the maximum and minimum values of a trigonometric function without using a calculator or drawing a graph?

To find the maximum and minimum values of a trigonometric function without a calculator or graph, you can use the following steps:

1. First, determine the period of the function. This is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs.
  2. Next, divide the period by 4 to find the distance between the maximum and minimum values.
  3. Substitute values into the function that will give you the maximum and minimum values.
  4. Finally, compare the values to determine which is the maximum and which is the minimum.

2. Can I use this method for any trigonometric function?

Yes, this method can be used for any trigonometric function, including sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent.

3. Do I need to have a strong understanding of trigonometry to use this method?

While a basic understanding of trigonometric functions is helpful, you do not need to have an in-depth knowledge of trigonometry to use this method. However, it is important to understand the concept of a period and how it relates to the maximum and minimum values of a function.

4. Are there any limitations to using this method?

One limitation of this method is that it may not give you exact values for the maximum and minimum. It will only give you an approximation. Additionally, this method may not work for more complex trigonometric functions.

5. How accurate are the results from this method?

The accuracy of the results will depend on how well you can estimate the values of the function. If you are able to substitute values that are close to the maximum and minimum, the results will be more accurate. However, as mentioned before, this method will only give you an approximation and not exact values.