Find the mass of the our galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the mass of our galaxy to estimate the number of stars it contains. Suggestions are made to either research the average mass of a star or use the mass of the sun as a simplified solution.
richman614
im doing a problem were i find the mass of the our galaxy and i found the mass. What the problem is saying is to use the mass found to estimate how many stars are in our galaxy?

Physics news on Phys.org
richman614 said:
im doing a problem were i find the mass of the our galaxy and i found the mass. What the problem is saying is to use the mass found to estimate how many stars are in our galaxy?

Maybe you should look up the average mass of a star? I'm assuming the mass of the associated planets is nearly negligible in comparison.

Or you could look up relative proportions of star sizes in our galaxy and do a weighted average.

Or the simple way would be to just use the mass of the sun: you would have to justify this though.

Related to Find the mass of the our galaxy

1. How do scientists find the mass of our galaxy?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to calculate the mass of our galaxy. One common method is to measure the orbital velocities of stars and gas clouds in the galaxy, which can be used to estimate the total mass of the galaxy through the application of Newton's laws of motion.

2. Can we measure the mass of our galaxy accurately?

While we have made significant progress in estimating the mass of our galaxy, it is still a challenging task. There are many unknown variables and uncertainties that can affect our calculations, such as the distribution of dark matter and the accuracy of our measurements.

3. How does the mass of our galaxy compare to other galaxies?

The mass of our galaxy, the Milky Way, is considered to be on the lower end of the mass spectrum for galaxies. It is estimated to have a mass of approximately 1.5 trillion times the mass of our sun. This is significantly smaller than some of the largest galaxies, which can have masses up to 10 trillion times that of our sun.

4. How does the mass of our galaxy affect our solar system?

The mass of our galaxy has a significant impact on our solar system. The gravitational pull of the galaxy helps to hold our solar system together, keeping the planets in their orbits around the sun. Additionally, the distribution of mass within the galaxy can affect the movement of our solar system through space.

5. How does knowing the mass of our galaxy help us understand the universe?

Studying the mass of our galaxy is crucial in understanding the larger scale structure and dynamics of the universe. The mass of our galaxy, along with other galaxies, can provide insights into the distribution and behavior of dark matter, which makes up a large portion of the mass in the universe. Additionally, understanding galactic mass can help us predict the future evolution of the universe.