Find the magniture of the vector using the figure below

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the magnitude of a vector using three given vectors in a figure. The person obtained the values for Ax, Bx, Ay, and By but had trouble with Cx and Cy. It was suggested that the person may have gotten the values for Cx and Cy mixed up and that the angle for C should be measured clockwise from the y-axis. The person was also reminded to be careful with their notation to avoid losing points.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of the vector that is the sum of the three vectors , , and in the figure : figure is the link
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/yf0134.jpg/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was obtain Ax=0 Bx=7.5

Ay=-8.00 and B13

My problem came when trying to get Cx and Cy.

The way the vector is placed in the figure confuses me but I got Cy= 12sin(25)= -10.87 since it is on the negative side, and Cx= 12Cos25=-5.07.

I then got the squareroot of Ax+Bx+Cx^2+Ay+By+Cy^2
Did I create the triangle wrong? If so how can I make sure to not make this same mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks OK to me...
Haven't you got Cx and Cy the wrong way around though?
After all C is longer in x than it is in y and you have Cy as the bigger.

just a niggle, Cx is not 12Cos25
... you should have written Cx = -12Cos25 because that is what it is.
(you can lose marks that way)

You are used to the angle measured wrt the x-axis ... in which case Cx=12Cos(205), which is the same.

Thank you!

No worries - you see all the other angles were wrt the y axis? so that angle in C was 115 degrees anticlockwise from the y axis. Then you can use the same formula you used for the others.

You can always construct the kinds of angles that make the math easier for you.

next time.

To find the magnitude of the vector, we need to use the Pythagorean theorem which states that the square of the magnitude of a vector is equal to the sum of the squares of its components. In this case, we have to consider all three vectors: A, B, and C.

Using the given figure, we can see that the components of vector C are Cx = -5.07 and Cy = -10.87. We can also see that the components of vector A and B are Ax = 0, Ay = -8 and Bx = 7.5, By = 3.

To find the magnitude of the vector, we can use the following formula:

|C| = √(Cx² + Cy²)

Substituting the values, we get:

|C| = √((-5.07)² + (-10.87)²) = √(25.7049 + 118.1569) = √143.8618 = 11.99

Therefore, the magnitude of the vector C is approximately 11.99 units.

It is important to note that the components of vector C should be negative since they are pointing in the opposite direction of the positive x and y axes. Also, make sure to use the correct formula for finding the magnitude and double check your calculations to avoid mistakes.

Related to Find the magniture of the vector using the figure below

1. What is the definition of a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the magnitude of a vector is equal to the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. What does the figure below represent?

The figure below represents a vector, with its magnitude and direction indicated by the arrow. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

4. How do you read the magnitude of a vector from the figure below?

To read the magnitude of a vector from the figure below, measure the length of the arrow in the given units. This length represents the magnitude of the vector.

5. Can the magnitude of a vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector is always a positive value. The negative sign in front of a vector indicates its direction, not its magnitude.