Find the magnitude of the magnetic field 10 cm from the wire

In summary, we were tasked to find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at point P, located 10 cm away from a wire carrying a current of 5 amps along the x-axis. Using the equation B = μ0 I/2πr, we found that the magnitude of the magnetic field is 7.96E-7 N and its direction is along the positive y-axis.
Covenant32

Homework Statement

A) Find the magnitude of the magnetic field 10 cm away from the wire at point P as shown in the picture. The current is directed along the x-axis.

B) Find its direction

Info: I = 5 amps. Point P lies on the Y-axis. Current on the X-axis.

Picture (I have drawn): http://twitpic.com/7e0l7e

Homework Equations

I THINK: B=u*I/2*pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

B = (4pi * 10^(-7)) * 5/2 *pi * .1m = 7.85 * 10^(-8) N

***I am not sure if this is correct. I have no means to check my work, so I am hoping someone can simply tell me whether or not I am correct, and if not, perhaps enlightening me as to which direction I should head to find the right answer. Much thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Covenant32 said:
I THINK: B=u*I/2*pi*r
Better to write it like this:
[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}[/tex]

Redo your calculation.

Doc Al said:
Better to write it like this:
[tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2 \pi r}[/tex]

Redo your calculation.

Thank you, Doc Al. I redid my calculation in that format and got 7.96E-7. Does that seem correct?

Again, thank you.

Covenant32 said:
I redid my calculation in that format and got 7.96E-7. Does that seem correct?
Not exactly. When you plug in the value of μ0 = 4*pi*10^(-7), that pi will cancel with the pi in the denominator. So you should be able to do the entire calculation without touching a calculator.

Try it one more time. :smile:

Doc Al said:
Not exactly. When you plug in the value of μ0 = 4*pi*10^(-7), that pi will cancel with the pi in the denominator. So you should be able to do the entire calculation without touching a calculator.

Try it one more time. :smile:

Aaah, got it. That should've been evident from the beginning. :redface: Thank you, Doc Al. You have alleviated me some frustration. :smile:

Related to Find the magnitude of the magnetic field 10 cm from the wire

1. How do you find the magnitude of the magnetic field 10 cm from the wire?

The magnitude of the magnetic field 10 cm from the wire can be found using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is Tesla (T).

3. Can the magnitude of the magnetic field change at a distance of 10 cm from the wire?

Yes, the magnitude of the magnetic field can change at a distance of 10 cm from the wire depending on the strength and direction of the current in the wire.

4. How does the distance from the wire affect the magnitude of the magnetic field?

The magnitude of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This relationship follows an inverse square law, meaning that the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the wire.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated magnetic field at a distance of 10 cm from the wire?

The accuracy of the calculated magnetic field at a distance of 10 cm from the wire can be affected by the accuracy of the current measurement, the distance measurement, and the assumptions made in the calculation, such as the wire being infinitely long and straight.