Find the magnitude, direction, and location of the force

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude, direction, and location of the force needed to keep the bar in equilibrium. Using translational and rotational equilibrium formulas, the vertical and horizontal components of the unknown force were found to be 80N and 69N respectively. Using the parallelogram method of vector addition, the resultant force was found to be 106N at an angle of 49 degrees north of east. To find the location of the unknown force, the rotational equilibrium equation was used, but it was found to be incorrect due to incorrect values and not accounting for the unknown torque. Instead, the same approach as the forces can be used to find the location by finding the net torque of all the forces except for the unknown
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

The uniform bar shown below weighs 40N and is subjected to the forces shown. Find the magnitude, direction, and location of the force needed to keep the bar in equilibrium. (the L's in the diagram stand for "length")

Homework Equations

ΣFx , ΣFy , and ΣT (torque)

The Attempt at a Solution

The question says a force is needed to keep the bar in equilibrium so I used both translational and rotational equilibrium formulas for this question (because they are the only equilibrium formulas we have learned so far). I first went through the translational equilibrium calculations (ΣFx, and ΣFy) to find x and y components.

Translational Equilibrium:
ΣFy=may
ΣFy=0
50-60-70-40+(80sin(30))=0
50-60-70-40+(40)= -80
-80 = 0

therefore the unknown vertical component is = (+ or positive) 80N

ΣFx=max
ΣFx=0
-(80cos(30))=0
-69.2820323=0
-69 = 0

therefore the unknown horizontal component is = (+) 69N

Next I used the parallelogram method of vector addition to find the resultant and the answer I got for the resultant was 106N. I then went to go find the angle by using tan and the angle turned out to be 49(degrees). north of east.

Now that I have found the magnitude and direction of the unknown force, the only thing left to find is its location and this is where I am having trouble. I tried using the rotational equilibrium equation and this is what I got:

ΣT=0
T(counterclockwise)=T(clockwise)

(80sin(30))(l1 or lever arm 1) + 50(l3 or lever arm 3)= Mg(weight of beam)*(l2 or lever arm 2) + 60(l3 or lever arm 3) + 70(l3 or lever arm 3)

= (80sin(30))(1.00) + 50(0.2) = (40(0.5) + 60(0.2) + 70(0.2)

= 50 = 46

I have found this now but I am unsure as to how to use this to find the location of the unknown force needed to keep the bar in equilibrium.

Attachments

• Physics 2.doc
    25 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
Likes Marcus chipili
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Inertialforce,

Inertialforce said:

Homework Statement

The uniform bar shown below weighs 40N and is subjected to the forces shown. Find the magnitude, direction, and location of the force needed to keep the bar in equilibrium. (the L's in the diagram stand for "length")

Homework Equations

ΣFx , ΣFy , and ΣT (torque)

The Attempt at a Solution

The question says a force is needed to keep the bar in equilibrium so I used both translational and rotational equilibrium formulas for this question (because they are the only equilibrium formulas we have learned so far). I first went through the translational equilibrium calculations (ΣFx, and ΣFy) to find x and y components.

Translational Equilibrium:
ΣFy=may
ΣFy=0
50-60-70-40+(80sin(30))=0
50-60-70-40+(40)= -80
-80 = 0

therefore the unknown vertical component is = (+ or positive) 80N

ΣFx=max
ΣFx=0
-(80cos(30))=0
-69.2820323=0
-69 = 0

therefore the unknown horizontal component is = (+) 69N

Next I used the parallelogram method of vector addition to find the resultant and the answer I got for the resultant was 106N. I then went to go find the angle by using tan and the angle turned out to be 49(degrees). north of east.

Now that I have found the magnitude and direction of the unknown force, the only thing left to find is its location and this is where I am having trouble. I tried using the rotational equilibrium equation and this is what I got:

ΣT=0
T(counterclockwise)=T(clockwise)

(80sin(30))(l1 or lever arm 1) + 50(l3 or lever arm 3)= Mg(weight of beam)*(l2 or lever arm 2) + 60(l3 or lever arm 3) + 70(l3 or lever arm 3)

= (80sin(30))(1.00) + 50(0.2) = (40(0.5) + 60(0.2) + 70(0.2)

I don't think the values you are using here are correct. When you write out the toqure equation, you have to use the same pivot for the entire equation. The lever arms for the first three terms seem to be showing that the pivot is at the left end of the rod. However, the last two terms do not seem to have this. (For example, the fourth terms is suggesting that the 60 N force is 0.2m from the pivot.)

Also, I think it is incorrect to set the counterclockwise torques equal to the clockwise torques here, because the method you are using leaves out the unknown torque.

So you can do for the torques exactly what you did for the forces. For the forces, you found the net force of all the forces except for the one you are looking for, and then you knew the unknown force must be able to cancel that net force. Do you see how to apply this to the torques? (Of course there are other ways to set it up.)

Can you please provide some guidance or direction on how to proceed?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the unknown force as the force needed to keep the bar in equilibrium. This means that this force must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the resultant force calculated using the parallelogram method (106N at 49 degrees north of east).

Next, I would use the rotational equilibrium equation to determine the location of this unknown force. This equation states that the sum of all torques acting on an object must be equal to zero. In this case, the torques are calculated by multiplying the force by its respective lever arm.

So, to find the location of the unknown force, we can set up the equation as follows:

ΣT = 0
T(counterclockwise) = T(clockwise)

(106N)(l1) = (40N)(l2) + (80sin30)(l3) + (50)(l4) + (60)(l5) + (70)(l6)

Where l1, l2, l3, l4, l5, and l6 are the respective lever arms for the resultant force, the weight of the bar, the 80N force, the 50N force, the 60N force, and the 70N force.

Solving this equation will give us the value for the lever arm of the unknown force, which corresponds to its location. This location can be measured from any reference point on the bar.

I hope this helps guide you in finding the location of the unknown force.

Related to Find the magnitude, direction, and location of the force

What is the definition of magnitude?

The magnitude of a force is the strength or size of the force, typically measured in units of newtons (N).

How is the direction of a force determined?

The direction of a force is determined by the angle at which the force is acting in relation to the reference frame. It is commonly measured in degrees or radians.

What tools are typically used to find the magnitude and direction of a force?

Commonly used tools include force sensors, force meters, and force plates. These tools can measure the strength and direction of a force in a specific direction.

How does the location of a force affect its magnitude and direction?

The location of a force can affect its magnitude and direction, as the strength and direction of a force can change depending on where it is applied. For example, pushing an object from the side versus pushing it from the top will result in different magnitudes and directions of force.

What are some real-world examples of forces and their magnitudes, directions, and locations?

Examples of forces and their magnitudes, directions, and locations include gravity pulling objects towards the ground, a person pushing a door open, and the frictional force between a car's tires and the road. These forces can vary in magnitude, direction, and location depending on the specific circumstances.