Find the magnitude and direction of each vector

In summary, the purpose of finding the magnitude and direction of a vector is to understand its overall characteristics and effects. The magnitude represents the size or length of the vector while direction indicates its orientation or angle. The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem or the dot product. Magnitude and direction are two distinct properties of a vector, with magnitude representing its length and direction representing its orientation. Knowing the direction of a vector is important in understanding its overall effect, especially when combined with other vectors. The direction of a vector can be determined by finding the angle it makes with the positive x-axis using trigonometric functions or the inverse tangent function.
joemama69

Homework Statement

2. You are given three vectors: A = (6.0i— 8.0j) units B = (-8.0i + 3.0j) units and C = (26.0i + 19.0j) units.

a) Find the magnitude and direction of each vector.

b) Find the resultant of A + B, A - B and A + B - C.

c) It is know that aA + bB + C = 0. Find the values of a and b that satisfy this vector equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, what does it mean to find the direction of each vector. do they want the angle

Physics news on Phys.org

joemama69 said:

Homework Statement

2. You are given three vectors: A = (6.0i— 8.0j) units B = (-8.0i + 3.0j) units and C = (26.0i + 19.0j) units.

a) Find the magnitude and direction of each vector.

b) Find the resultant of A + B, A - B and A + B - C.

c) It is know that aA + bB + C = 0. Find the values of a and b that satisfy this vector equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, what does it mean to find the direction of each vector. do they want the angle

yes they do

I assume they want the angle of the vector. By convention, the angle is measured counter-clockwise from the positive x axis. Think of how you drew the unit circle in trigonometry.

For B, you simply add components.

Part C, you Have what appears to be one equation and two unknowns. However, it's a vector equation, which in your case is actually two equations. There's one for your x components and one for your y components.

so i would do

a(6.0i— 8.0j) +b(-8.0i + 3.0j) + (26.0i + 19.0j) = 0

6a - 8b + 26 = 0

-8a + 3b + 19 = 0 and just solve this system

Yes. Correct

Related to Find the magnitude and direction of each vector

What is the purpose of finding the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude and direction of a vector are important measurements to understand the overall characteristics and effects of a vector. Magnitude represents the size or length of the vector, while direction indicates the orientation or angle of the vector.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the vector's magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of its components. Alternatively, it can also be found by taking the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself.

What is the difference between magnitude and direction?

Magnitude and direction are two distinct properties of a vector. Magnitude refers to the length or size of the vector, while direction represents the orientation or angle of the vector. Both are necessary to fully describe a vector's characteristics.

Why is it important to know the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is important because it indicates the angle or orientation at which the vector is acting. This information is crucial in understanding the overall effect of the vector, especially when it is combined with other vectors.

How can you determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be determined by finding the angle it makes with the positive x-axis on a coordinate plane. This can be done using trigonometric functions or by using the inverse tangent function of the vector's vertical and horizontal components.