Find the loudness of a moving object at a certain distance

• Thread starter ichivictus
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves an object emitting a sound with a frequency of 400hz being thrown 10m away and passing 2m away from the listener. Using the Doppler effect equation, the initial velocity of the object is calculated to be 27.6 m/s. With this information, the loudness in dB can be calculated using the equation L = 10 log(I/Io), where Io is the reference intensity of 10^-12 W/m^2. The perceived pitch of the sound does not change with distance, so the only relevant information is the two distances. The loudness at 2m can be determined by assuming 0dB at 10m and using the given equations.
ichivictus

Homework Statement

An object emitting a sound with a 400hz frequency is thrown 10m away and passes right next to you. At 10m away, you can barely hear the object and you have average hearing. When the object passes you, you observe a sound with a frequency of 435hz.

Find the loudness in dB when the object was 2 meters away. Assume the object was headed straight towards you.

Homework Equations

L = 10 log(I/Io) = 20 log(P/Po)
Io = 10-12 W/m2
I = Pav/A = 1/2 Po2/ρv

Doppler's Effect:
fs (v/(v-vo)) = fr
v = speed of sound ≈ 343 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

So to solve for this I need to solve for I with little information. To solve I believe I will need to solve for the initial velocity of this object.

Solving for vo

vo = v - fsv/fr = 343m/s - 400hz/435hz * 343 m/s = 27.6 m/s

Would Po be the amplitude of the sound wave? I'm really not sure how to tackle this problem. I think that since you can barely hear it at 10m away means something too. That means that initially the loudness is 0dB.

λ = v/f = 343m/s / 400hz = .8575m

Really not sure what I am doing. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
"When the object passes" is a bit vague. Seems like it should mean when it is level with you, but then there would be no Doppler effect, so you should hear it as 400Hz, no? So I guess it means when it is just about to reach you.
But in that case I don't understand why the 400Hz or the object's speed are of interest. Wouldn't the perceived pitch be the same at all distances? Maybe all that information is just to confuse.
So all that seems relevant are the two distances. If it's 0dB at 10m what is it at 2m?

Related to Find the loudness of a moving object at a certain distance

1. How is loudness measured?

Loudness is measured in decibels (dB) using a sound level meter. It is a logarithmic scale that compares the sound pressure level of a sound to a reference sound pressure level.

2. What factors affect the loudness of a moving object?

The loudness of a moving object is affected by its distance, speed, and size. The closer the object is to the listener, the louder it will appear. The faster the object is moving, the louder it will sound. And larger objects tend to produce louder sounds than smaller objects.

3. How does distance affect the loudness of a moving object?

Distance is a major factor in the loudness of a moving object. As the object moves further away from the listener, the sound waves spread out and become weaker, resulting in a decrease in loudness. This decrease follows the inverse square law, meaning that the loudness decreases by 6 dB for every doubling of distance.

4. Can the loudness of a moving object be accurately measured at a certain distance?

Yes, the loudness of a moving object can be accurately measured at a certain distance using a sound level meter. The meter will measure the sound pressure level at that distance and convert it into decibels.

5. How can the loudness of a moving object at a certain distance be used in practical applications?

The loudness of a moving object at a certain distance can be used in various practical applications, such as noise control and environmental impact assessments. It can also be used to determine safe listening levels for individuals exposed to loud sounds from moving objects, such as those working in construction sites or near busy roads.