Find the locus of a point moving so that the sum of its perpendicular distances from the four lines is constant

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
In summary, a locus in mathematics is a set of points that satisfy a given condition or set of conditions. It can be determined by finding the intersection points of lines or by plotting equidistant points. In real-life situations, loci are used in designing structures and in navigation. Other examples of loci include points equidistant from given points or lines, and shapes such as ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Four distinct lines $L_1, \, L_2,\,L_3,\,L_4$ are given in the plane, with $L_1$ and $L_2$ respectively parallel to $L_3$ and $L_4$. Find the locus of a point moving so that the sum of its perpendicular distances from the four lines is constant.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to castor28 and Opalg for their correct solutions to this week's POTW, which was Problem 25 in the MAA Challenges. This was a tricky problem because of the special case of all four lines parallel. Also, extra kudos to both submitters for terrific TikZ illustrations. Here is castor28's solution:

[sp]
We will write $d(P,L_i)$ for the perpendicular distance between the point $P$ and the line $L_i$, and $D =\sum{d(P,L_i)}$ for the common sum of distances from a point in the locus to the given lines.

We start by looking at a simpler case, with only two intersecting lines. In a suitable coordinate system, we have the lines $L_1:y=0$ and $L_2: y = x\tan\alpha$, where $\alpha$ is the angle between the lines.

If $P = (x,y)$ is a point in the first "quadrant" (above $L_1$ and to the right of $L_2$), we have $d(P,L_1) = y$. Since $L_2$ is perpendicular to the unit vector $(\sin\alpha,-\cos\alpha)$, we have $d(P,L_2) = x\sin\alpha-y\cos\alpha$. This gives the equation $x\sin\alpha + y(1-\cos\alpha) = D$, which describes a straight line segment; that segment can be constructed easily from its intersections with the given lines.

A similar construction can be used in the other quadrants, and the complete locus is a parallelogram; the given lines are the diagonals of that parallelogram.

Consider now two parallel lines $L_i$ and $L_j$ separated by a distance $h$. If a point $P$ is between the two lines, we have $d(P,L_i)+d(P,L_j) = h$. On the other hand, if $P$ is outside, on the side of $L_i$, we have $d(P,L_i)+d(P,L_j) = h + 2d(P,L_i)$. Note that, in either case, the sum is at least equal to $h$.

Let us write $h_1$ for the distance between $L_1$ and $L_3$, and $h_2$ for the distance between $L_2$ and $L_4$. Because of the previous remark, if $D<h_1+h_2$, the locus will be empty. If $D=h_1+h_2$, the locus will be the whole parallelogram (interior and boundary) defined by the four lines.

Assume now that $D>h_1+h_2$, and write $D-h_1-h_2=2\Delta>0$, and let us look at the figure below.

\begin{tikzpicture}
\path (-2,0) (0,0) coordinate (O)
(1.732,3) coordinate (Q)
++(-1.155,0) coordinate (A) node[above left]{$A$}
++(6.309,0) coordinate (D) node[above right] {$D$}
++(0.5,0) coordinate (d1);
\path (-1.155,0) coordinate (H) node[above left] {$H$}
++(6.309,0) coordinate (E) node[below right] {$E$}
++(0.5,0) coordinate (e1);
\path (-0.577,-1) coordinate (G) node[below right] {$G$}
++(4,0) coordinate (F) node[below right] {$F$};
\path (Q) ++(0.577,1) coordinate (B) node[above left]{$B$}
++(0.289,0.5) coordinate (b1)
(B) ++(4,0) coordinate (C) node[above left]{$C$}
++(0.289,0.5) coordinate (c1);
\draw (H) ++(-0.5,0) -- (e1) node[midway,above]{$L_1$};
\draw (A) ++(-0.5,0) -- (d1) node[midway,below]{$L_3$};
\draw (G) ++(-0.289,-0.5) -- (b1) node[midway,right]{$L_2$};
\draw (F) ++(-0.289,-0.5) -- (c1) node[midway,left]{$L_4$};
\begin{scope}[very thick,blue]
\draw (H) -- (A);
\draw (B) -- (C);
\draw (D) -- (E);
\draw (F) -- (G);
\end{scope}
\begin{scope}[very thick,red]
\draw (A) -- (B);
\draw (C) -- (D);
\draw (E) -- (F);
\draw (G) -- (H);
\end{scope}
\path (G) -- (C) node[midway] {$(1)$};
\path (H) -- (A) node[midway,left] {$(2)$};
\path (A) -- (B) node[midway,above left] {$(3)$};
\end{tikzpicture}

The four lines divide the plane into nine regions. For a point $P$ in the central region $(1)$, we have $\sum{d(P,L_i)} = h_1 + h_2 < D$; there are no points of the locus in that region on on its boundary.

For a point $P$ in the left region $(2)$, we have:
$$\sum{d(P,L_i)} = h_1 + h_2 + 2d(P, L_2)$$
which shows that $d(P,L_2)=\Delta$. The locus of such points is a straight line segment parallel to $L_2$ ($AH$ in the figure). The other three blue segments can be constructed using the same argument.

For a point in the upper left region $(3)$, we have:
$$\sum{d(P,L_i)} = h_1 + h_2 + 2\big(d(P,L_2) + d(P,L_3)\big)$$
which shows that $d(P,L_2)+d(P,L_3)=\Delta$. We have seen that the locus of such points is a straight line segment. Since we know that the points $A$ and $B$ are on the segment, we may construct the segment $AB$, and the other three red segments can be constructed in the same way.

The conclusion is that, if $D>h_1 + h_2$, the locus is the octagon $ABCDEFGH$.

If the four lines are parallel, the whole figure is invariant under a translation in the common direction; the same must be true for the locus, which will therefore consist of a set of parallel lines (or bands). Take an $x$-axis perpendicular to the lines, and assume that $L_1,L_2,L_3,L_4$ intersect the axis at $a,b,c,d$ (in that order). Write $h_1=d-a$ for the distance between the outer lines $L_1$ and $L_4$, and $h_2 = c-b$ for the distance between the inner lines $L_2$ and $L_3$.

We split the sum into two parts: $\sum{d(P,L_i)}=S_1 + S_2$, where $S_1 = d(P,L_1)+d(P,L_4)$ and $S_2=d(P,L_2) + d(P,L_3)$. The argument used above for two parallel lines shows that $S_1$ is constant, minimum, and equal to $h_1$ between $L_1$ and $L_4$ and increases (with a slope of $\pm2$) when going away from that interval in either direction. The same argument applies to $S_2$. Adding the two functions together, we get the following table for the slopes of $S_1$ and $S_2$:
$$\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|c|c}
x&(-\infty,a)&(a,b)&(b,c)&(c,d)&(d,+\infty)\\
\hline
S'_1&-2&0&0&0&+2\\
S'_2&-2&-2&0&+2&+2\\
S'_1+S'_2&-4&-2&0&+2&+4
\end{array}$$
This shows that the graph of $S_1+S_2$ is concave upward and has a minimum region (with constant value $h_1+h_2$) between $L_2$ and $L_3$.

If $D<h_1+h_2$, the locus is empty. If $D=h_1+h_2$, the locus consists in the band between $L_2$ and $L_3$. If $D>h_1+h_2$, the locus consists of two parallel lines, one on the left of $L_2$ and the other on the right of $L_3$.
[/sp]

Related to Find the locus of a point moving so that the sum of its perpendicular distances from the four lines is constant

1. What is the definition of a locus in mathematics?

A locus is a set of points that satisfy a given condition or set of conditions. In other words, it is the path traced out by a point or points that meet a specific criterion.

2. How is the locus of a point moving with a constant sum of perpendicular distances determined?

The locus of a point moving so that the sum of its perpendicular distances from four lines is constant is a circle. This can be determined by finding the intersection points of the four lines and drawing a circle with its center at the point of intersection.

3. Can the locus of a point moving with a constant sum of perpendicular distances be any other shape?

No, the locus of a point moving with a constant sum of perpendicular distances from four lines will always be a circle. This is because the perpendicular distances from the point to each of the four lines will always be equal, creating a perfect circle when plotted.

4. How is this concept of locus applied in real-life situations?

The concept of locus is often used in geometry and engineering, such as in the design of circular structures like bridges and arches. It can also be applied in navigation, as the locus of a ship's position can be determined by taking multiple distance measurements from known points.

5. What are some other examples of loci in mathematics?

Some other examples of loci in mathematics include the locus of points equidistant from two given points, the locus of points equidistant from two given lines, and the locus of points equidistant from a given point and a given line. Other shapes, such as ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas, can also be considered loci based on their defining characteristics.