Find the length of the Transverse axis. What did I do wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of the transverse axis in the equation x^2 - \frac{\ y^2}{9} = 1. The length is found by plugging the equation into \frac{\ (x-h)^2}{b^2} - \frac{\ (y-k)^2}{a^2} = 1 and solving for a, which is equal to 3. However, the incorrect answer is found when setting x=0 and y=0, as there are no solutions for these values. The correct transverse axis is x= -1 and 1.
trigger352
I'm doing an Exam correction an I can't see how this answer is found.

Question: [tex]x^2 - \frac{\ y^2}{9} = 1[/tex]
Find the length of the transverse axis.

I took [tex]x^2 - \frac{\ y^2}{9} = 1[/tex]

And plugged it into
[tex]\frac{\ (x-h)^2}{b^2} - \frac{\ (y-k)^2}{a^2} = 1[/tex]

to get

[tex]\frac{\ (x-0)^2}{1^2} - \frac{\ (y-0)^2}{3^2} = 1[/tex]

The 0's were because in the original equation, I didn't see an [tex]h[/tex] or [tex]k[/tex] value that was affecting either [tex]x[/tex] or [tex]y[/tex]
The [tex]1^2[/tex] is because [tex]x[/tex] = [tex]\frac{x}{1}[/tex] like [tex]a[/tex] = [tex]\frac{a}{1}[/tex]

[tex]a = 3[/tex], therefore the length of the transverse is 6 units...

...Incorrect Answer??!

Physics news on Phys.org
When x= 0 what is y?

Setting x= 0 gives [itex]-\frac{y^2}{9}= 1[/itex]- which has NO solution.

When y= 0 what is x?

Setting y= 0 gives x2= 1 so x= -1 and 1. THAT'S the "transverse axis" you want!

The length of the transverse axis cannot be determined from the given equation. The equation provided is in the form of a hyperbola, which does not have a transverse axis. Only ellipses have a transverse axis, which is the longest diameter that passes through the center of the ellipse. In order to find the length of the transverse axis, the equation should be in the form of an ellipse, such as \frac{\ (x-h)^2}{a^2} + \frac{\ (y-k)^2}{b^2} = 1. Once the equation is in this form, the length of the transverse axis can be found by taking the square root of the larger denominator (in this case, b^2). Therefore, the correct answer cannot be determined without further information.

Related to Find the length of the Transverse axis. What did I do wrong?

1. How do I find the length of the transverse axis?

The length of the transverse axis can be found by measuring the distance between two points on the ellipse that are located on the horizontal axis. This distance is equal to the length of the transverse axis.

2. Can the length of the transverse axis be negative?

No, the length of the transverse axis cannot be negative. It represents a physical distance and therefore must be a positive value.

3. What is the importance of finding the length of the transverse axis?

The length of the transverse axis is an important measurement in understanding the size and shape of an ellipse. It can also help in determining other properties of the ellipse such as its foci and vertices.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding the length of the transverse axis?

Some common mistakes when finding the length of the transverse axis include measuring the distance between points on the vertical axis instead of the horizontal axis, not using the correct units of measurement, and not accounting for any scaling or stretching of the ellipse.

5. What can I do if I am still having trouble finding the length of the transverse axis?

If you are having trouble finding the length of the transverse axis, it may be helpful to refer to a diagram or graph of the ellipse, double check your calculations, or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher.