Find the least value of a

In summary, the least value of x-coordinates of the points mentioned in the homework statement is -5.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If four distinct points on the curve [itex]y=2x^4+7x^3+3x-5[/itex] are collinear, then find the arithmetic mean of x-coordinates of the aforesaid points.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the four points mentioned must be the roots of the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

If four distinct points on the curve [itex]y=2x^4+7x^3+3x-5[/itex] are collinear, then find the arithmetic mean of x-coordinates of the aforesaid points.

Homework Equations

Graph the function. It only has one real root.

SammyS said:

Are you sure? I thought for any polymonial, complex roots come in even numbers, so that quartics have 0, 2 or 4 real roots (some may be repeated, mind)

SammyS said:

There are 2 real roots.

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I assume you mean that for f(x) = 2x^4+7x^3+3x-5, the four points (x1,f(x1)), (x2,f(x2)),(x3,f(x3)), (x4,f(x4)) lie on a straight line. If you plot f(x) you will see that the places where you can have 4 collinear points on the curve y = f(x) are quite limited (although there are still infinitely many possibilities). I don't see why the roots of f(x) have much to say about this problem.

RGV

Last edited:
I assume that since this thread is posted in the Precalculus Mathematics section, you are not to use calculus.

Is that correct?

SammyS said:
I assume that since this thread is posted in the Precalculus Mathematics section, you are not to use calculus.

Is that correct?

A liitle bit of it won't do any harm.

Ray Vickson said:
I assume you mean that for f(x) = 2x^4+7x^3+3x-5, the four points (x1,f(x1)), (x2,f(x2)),(x3,f(x3)), (x4,f(x4)) lie on a straight line. If you plot f(x) you will see that the places where you can have 4 collinear points on the curve y = f(x) are quite limited (although there are still infinitely many possibilities). I don't see why the roots of f(x) have much to say about this problem.

RGV

I plotted the graph and it comes out that there are only 2 real roots. So the points mustn't be the roots. Then what are those 4 points?

Inflection points for [itex]y=2x^4+7x^3+3x-5[/itex] occur where the second derivative is zero.

These occur at (-7/4, -3713/128) and at (0, -5).

The line passing through these points has the equation, y = (439/32)x-5 .

Subtracting (439/32)x-5 from your function gives, [itex]\displaystyle y=2 x^4+7 x^3-\frac{343}{32}x\ .[/itex]

Here's the graph of that from WolframAlpha.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52544&stc=1&d=1351829819.gif

Of course two of the zeros are at the inflection points. You can then find the other two for the remaining quadratic.

Attachments

• WA_Degree4_Poly.gif
    WA_Degree4_Poly.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 520
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The four points are on a straight line y=ax+b, and are points of the curve at the same time. That means: [itex]ax+b=2x^4+7x^3+3x-5[/itex]
The x coordinates of the collinear points are roots of the rearranged equation [itex]2x^4+7x^3+(3-a)x-5-b=0[/itex], and the equation has four real roots.

You need the geometric mean of the x coordinates, which is the sum of roots divided by 4. And you know the relation between roots and coefficients.

ehild

ehild said:
The four points are on a straight line y=ax+b, and are points of the curve at the same time. That means: [itex]ax+b=2x^4+7x^3+3x-5[/itex]
The x coordinates of the collinear points are roots of the rearranged equation [itex]2x^4+7x^3+(3-a)x-5-b=0[/itex], and the equation has four real roots.

You need the geometric mean of the x coordinates, which is the sum of roots divided by 4. And you know the relation between roots and coefficients.

ehild

You are a genius. Thanks for helping. There was no need of those calculus methods which were extremely complicated.

ehild said:

ehild

Can you please help me on the other question of mine posted by the title
'Find least value of a'?

Related to Find the least value of a

What is the definition of arithmetic mean?

The arithmetic mean, also known as the average, is a measure of central tendency calculated by adding all of the values in a set of numbers and dividing the sum by the total number of values.

How do you find the arithmetic mean?

To find the arithmetic mean, add all of the numbers in a set and divide the sum by the total number of numbers in the set. For example, to find the arithmetic mean of the numbers 2, 4, and 6, you would add 2 + 4 + 6 and then divide by 3, giving you an arithmetic mean of 4.

What is the difference between arithmetic mean and median?

The arithmetic mean and median are both measures of central tendency, but they differ in how they are calculated. The arithmetic mean is the sum of all values divided by the total number of values, while the median is the middle value when all of the values are arranged in order from lowest to highest.

When is it appropriate to use the arithmetic mean?

The arithmetic mean is appropriate to use when the data set is evenly distributed and there are no extreme outliers. It is also commonly used for normally distributed data.

What are some real-world applications of the arithmetic mean?

The arithmetic mean is used in a variety of fields, including statistics, finance, and science. It is commonly used to calculate averages in sports, such as a player's batting average in baseball, and to calculate grades in education. It is also used in market analysis to determine stock prices and in research studies to summarize data.