Find the largest value in a sequence

In summary, the sequence is defined by $a_1=1$, $a_{2n}=a_n$, and $a_{2n+1}=a_{2n}+1$. The largest value in the sequence $a_1,\;a_2,\;a_3,\cdots,\; a_{1989}$ is $10$, and it occurs $5$ times in the range from $1$ to $1989$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
The sequence \(\displaystyle a_1,\;a_2,\;a_3,\cdots\) is defined by \(\displaystyle a_1=1\), \(\displaystyle a_{2n}=a_n\), \(\displaystyle a_{2n+1}=a_{2n}+1\).

Find the largest value in \(\displaystyle a_1,\;a_2,\;a_3,\cdots,\; a_{1989}\) and the number of times it occurs.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
The sequence \(\displaystyle a_1,\;a_2,\;a_3,\cdots\) is defined by \(\displaystyle a_1=1\), \(\displaystyle a_{2n}=a_n\), \(\displaystyle a_{2n+1}=a_{2n}+1\).

Find the largest value in \(\displaystyle a_1,\;a_2,\;a_3,\cdots,\; a_{1989}\) and the number of times it occurs.
Denote $S_n=\{i:2^{n-1}\leq i<2^n\}$.
Let $f:\mathbb N\to \mathbb N$ be the function $f(k)=a_k$.
Now its not very hard to see that $[\max f(S_n)]+1=\max f(S_{n+1})$.
This easily leads to the answer.
The maximum achieved by the sequence given is $10$.

Last edited:
caffeinemachine said:
anemone said:

Denote $S_n=\{i:2^{n-1}\leq i<2^n\}$.
Let $f:\mathbb N\to \mathbb N$ be the function $f(k)=a_k$.
Now its not very hard to see that $[\max f(S_n)]+1=\max f(S_{n+1})$.
This easily leads to the answer.
The maximum achieved by the sequence given is $10$.
That neatly answers the first part of the problem. But the question also asks for the number of times that this maximum value occurs. The value 10 occurs for the first time as $a_{1023}$. But to find out how many more times it occurs in $\{a_{1024},\ldots,a_{1989}\}$ it will be necessary to look more closely at the structure of the sequence $\{a_k\}$.

It looks to me as though $a_k$ ought to be the number of 1s in the binary representation of $k$. Maybe that will help to lead to an answer.

Opalg said:
That neatly answers the first part of the problem. But the question also asks for the number of times that this maximum value occurs. The value 10 occurs for the first time as $a_{1023}$. But to find out how many more times it occurs in $\{a_{1024},\ldots,a_{1989}\}$ it will be necessary to look more closely at the structure of the sequence $\{a_k\}$.

It looks to me as though $a_k$ ought to be the number of 1s in the binary representation of $k$. Maybe that will help to lead to an answer.
It can be shown by induction that $\max f(S_n)$ occurs at $i=2^{n}-1$ and that it occurs exactly once in $S_n$.
This might settle second part of the problem. I will get back to this in a few hours. Have a test to write.

In fact, it's obvious when you think about it. If $b_k$ is the number of 1s in the binary representation of $k$, then $b_{2k} = b_k$ (because the binary representation of $2k$ is the same as that of $k$ with an extra $0$ at the end), and $b_{2k+1} = b_{2k}+1$ (because the binary representation of $2k$ is the same as that of $2k$ with the final $0$ replaced by a $1$). Also, $b_1=1$. Therefore $b_k=a_k$.

So the first number with $a_k=10$ is $1023$ (whose binary representation consists of ten $1$s). In the range from $1024$ to $2047$, the numbers all have 11 binary digits, so the only ones with $a_k=10$ will be those with one binary digit $0$ and all the rest $1$s. Enumerating these, we get
$10111111111_2 = 1535_{10}$,
$11011111111_2 = 1791_{10}$,
$11101111111_2 = 1919_{10}$,
$11110111111_2 = 1983_{10}$,
$11111011111_2 = $ (greater than $1989$ in base 10, so we can stop there).​
So there are five numbers $\leqslant 1989$ for which $a_k=10$.

Related to Find the largest value in a sequence

1. What is the purpose of finding the largest value in a sequence?

Finding the largest value in a sequence is important in data analysis and statistics. It helps identify the maximum value within a set of data, which can provide insights into patterns, trends, and outliers.

2. How do you find the largest value in a sequence?

The most common method is to iterate through the sequence and compare each value to the current largest value. If a larger value is found, it becomes the new largest value until all values have been checked. Alternatively, certain programming languages have built-in functions for finding the maximum value in a sequence.

3. Can there be more than one largest value in a sequence?

Yes, there can be multiple values that are considered the largest in a sequence. This typically occurs when there are ties, meaning that multiple values are equal to the largest value.

4. What is the time complexity of finding the largest value in a sequence?

The time complexity can vary depending on the method used to find the largest value. In general, it can range from O(n) to O(nlogn), where n is the size of the sequence. This means that the time it takes to find the largest value increases at a linear or logarithmic rate as the size of the sequence increases.

5. Can finding the largest value in a sequence be done in constant time?

No, finding the largest value in a sequence cannot be done in constant time. This is because the algorithm needs to iterate through the entire sequence to compare each value, and the number of iterations will increase as the size of the sequence increases.