Do photons effectivley travel instantaneously?

In summary, the question of whether photons travel instantaneously has been answered as no, based on the fact that they travel at the speed of light and do not have a rest frame. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, if someone were to travel at the speed of light and hold a mirror in front of their face, they would not be able to see their reflection due to the fact that they are in the same frame of reference as the mirror. This idea was part of Einstein's early thoughts before his theory of relativity. He believed that this would violate the principle of relativity, as the person would be able to determine their own speed without looking outside their own frame.
Pyrokenesis
Do photons effectivley travel instantaneously? If not then the question posed by Einstein "If I travel at the speed of light and hold a mirror in-front of my face, do I see a reflection?" has the answer, no!

Although I'm not positive why but would say that because your in the same frame of reference as the mirror that you do see a reflection.

Befuddled!

Physics news on Phys.org
Photons travel at c, they don't have a rest frame.

Just for the record, here is what Einstein wrote.

""
Wenn ich einem Lichtstrahl nacheile mit der Geschwindigkeit c (Lichtgeschwindigkeit I am Vacuum), so sollte ich einen solchen Lichtstrahl als ruhendes, raümlich oszillatorisches elektromagnetisches Feld wahrnehmen. So etwas scheint es aber nicht zu geben, weder auf Grund der Erfahrung noch gemäss den Maxwell'schen Gleichungen.
""

Here is an English translation.

""
If I pursue a beam of light with the velocity c (velocity of light in a vacuum), I should observe such a beam of light as a spatially oscillatory electromagnetic field at rest. However, there seems to be no such thing, whether on the basis of experience or according to Maxwell's equations.
""

If he were traveling at c behind the beam of light, then he would not be catching up to it. He said "nacheile", which means "lag". So it should be "If I lag a beam of light...". He didn't say "gehe mit" (go with) or "reise mit" (travel with) that beam of light. So he hasn't explained just how he thought he could experience those (for him) stationary oscillations, and he hasn't explained just how he might have transformed those Maxwell equations to that moving frame of reference. But this is just a remembrance of something from his early thoughts, before his theory of relativity. It would have been about 1895 and (he says) he was sixteen.

I think he agrees with the topic originator. It would be just like standing still (relativity principle), so the light beam can't be at rest even in this frame of reference. Relativity theory won't permit this (traveling at lightspeed)to be a frame of reference at all.

*autobiography from Schilpp Library of Living Philosophers

Last edited:
Thanx guys, I've read a bit more on the subject, and if he couldn't see his image then as I understand it he would know the speed he was moving at without having to look outside his own frame. This violates the principle of relativity. Makes sense!

1. How do photons travel?

Photons travel through space at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. They have both wave-like and particle-like properties, and can travel through a vacuum.

2. Are photons affected by gravity?

Yes, photons are affected by gravity. They follow the curvature of spacetime, just like any other particle or object with mass.

3. Do photons have a mass?

No, photons do not have a mass. They are considered to be massless particles. However, they do have energy and momentum, which can be transferred to other particles when they interact.

4. Can photons travel instantaneously?

No, photons do not travel instantaneously. While they do travel at the speed of light, it still takes time for them to travel from one point to another. This time is very small, but it is not instantaneous.

5. How does the speed of light affect the travel of photons?

The speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. This means that photons, being particles of light, also travel at this maximum speed. It is a fundamental constant of the universe and cannot be exceeded by any particle, including photons.