Find the intervals on which a function is increasing/decreasing?

In summary: I graphed F(x) and it looked to be increasing on a certain interval, however when graphing F'(x) it is certainly negative everywhere it is defined. So it ok to say the function is decreasing everywhere it is defined? No, because -6/x^2 -1/(1-x)^2 is always negative, which would mean that F'(x) would always be positive.
utility

Homework Statement

F(x)=6/x-(1/1-x)

Find the intervals on which the function is increasing/decreasing?

Homework Equations

F(x)=6/x-(1/1-x)

F'(x)= -6/x^2 -1/(1-x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Critical points are x=0 and x=1

Function has a discontinuitiy at 0

Checking to the right of the critical point:

f'(2) <0

f'(-1)<0

Seems like for all values I put into the derivative I get a negative number in return. And I know from graphing the function it is increasing approxmiately on (2,infinity) and decreasing (-2,-infinity)

Physics news on Phys.org
utility said:
F(x)=6/x-(1/1-x)
I know from graphing the function it is increasing approxmiately on (2,infinity)

To me, it looks like the function is approaching 0 as x approaches infinity. How did you graph it?

Stephen Tashi said:
To me, it looks like the function is approaching 0 as x approaches infinity. How did you graph it?

Using graph calc, I entered i as (6/x)/(1/1-x). Is the other work correct?

utility said:
Using graph calc, I entered i as (6/x)/(1/1-x). Is the other work correct?

Shouldn't you do addition of 6/x and 1/(1-x) instead of division?

Why don't you solve the inequality F'(x) > 0

To solve -6/x^2 -1/(1-x)^2 > 0 you can multiply both sides by x^2 (1-x)^2, and since this quantity is always positive it won't break the inequality. (Though obvious you still need to be careful of the points x=0 and x=1).

BTW. If you do the above you will find that the LHS of the inequality is negative definite and hence there is nowhere in the domain of that function where the derivative is positive.

Last edited:
utility said:

Homework Statement

F(x)=6/x-(1/1-x)

Find the intervals on which the function is increasing/decreasing?

Homework Equations

F(x)=6/x-(1/1-x)

F'(x)= -6/x^2 -1/(1-x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Critical points are x=0 and x=1

Function has a discontinuitiy at 0

Checking to the right of the critical point:

f'(2) <0

f'(-1)<0

Seems like for all values I put into the derivative I get a negative number in return. And I know from graphing the function it is increasing approxmiately on (2,infinity) and decreasing (-2,-infinity)

For ANY x (except 0 and 1) both terms -6/x^2 and -1/(1-x)^2 are < 0, so F'(x) < 0 everywhere where it is defined (that is, everywhere except x=0 and x=1). When I graph it I do not get what you said. Are you sure you wrote the correct function here? (The function F does increase from negative values for x slightly below x = 1 to positive values just after x = 1, but it does so by "jumping", not by increasing in a smooth way.)

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
For ANY x (except 0 and 1) both terms -6/x^2 and -1/(1-x)^2 are < 0, so F'(x) < 0 everywhere where it is defined (that is, everywhere except x=0 and x=1). When I graph it I do not get what you said. Are you sure you wrote the correct function here? (The function F does increase from negative values for x slightly below x = 1 to positive values just after x = 1, but it does so by "jumping", not by increasing in a smooth way.)

RGV

I graphed F(x) and it looked to be increasing on a certain interval, however when graphing F'(x) it is certainly negative everywhere it is defined.

So it ok to say the function is decreasing everywhere it is defined?

Related to Find the intervals on which a function is increasing/decreasing?

1. What does it mean for a function to be increasing/decreasing?

When a function is increasing, it means that its output (y-value) is getting larger as its input (x-value) increases. Conversely, when a function is decreasing, its output is getting smaller as its input increases.

2. How do I determine if a function is increasing or decreasing?

To determine if a function is increasing or decreasing, you can graph the function and observe the direction of the curve. If the curve is moving upwards from left to right, the function is increasing. If the curve is moving downwards from left to right, the function is decreasing.

3. Can a function be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a function can only be either increasing or decreasing at a given interval. However, a function can have multiple intervals where it is increasing or decreasing.

4. How do I find the intervals where a function is increasing/decreasing?

To find the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing, you can find the critical points of the function (points where the derivative is equal to 0) and then determine the sign of the derivative in between these points. If the derivative is positive, the function is increasing. If the derivative is negative, the function is decreasing.

5. Can I use a calculator to determine the intervals of a function's increasing/decreasing behavior?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator to graph the function and visually determine the intervals where it is increasing or decreasing. Some calculators also have built-in features that can calculate the derivative of a function and display its sign, making it easier to determine the intervals.