Find the internal series resistance of the battery

In summary, when replacing the battery with a resistance of 9 ohms, the power delivered to the load is the same as when the battery was connected to a resistor of 4 ohms.
prishila

Homework Statement

A battery is connected with a resistor R1=4 om and then it is replaced with the resistance 9 om. In both cases the heat released in the same time is the same. Find the inner resistor of the battery.

Homework Equations

Q=UIt (U-tension; I-intensity, t-time)
I=e.m.f/R+r

The Attempt at a Solution

UI1*t=U*I2*t U and t are constant
I1=I2
emf/R1+r=efm/R2+r
But it results R1=R2

Physics news on Phys.org
Your assumption that the currents (I1 and I2) are equal is not correct.

The power delivered to the load is maximal when the load resistor is equal to the internal resistance, so without calculation one can say that it is between 4 ohm and 9 ohm.

PietKuip said:
Your assumption that the currents (I1 and I2) are equal is not correct.

The power delivered to the load is maximal when the load resistor is equal to the internal resistance, so without calculation one can say that it is between 4 ohm and 9 ohm.
Can you give me a hint to find it correctly? From which formula should I start?

If you sketch the graph of power vs resistance, you'll see it is symmetrical on both the sides of the peak power. Here, since the power is same, where do you think should the resistance be between 4 and 9?

If you want to go mathematically,
P=I2R will be helpful. Make proper substitution for I in terms of E and r.

Likes prishila
cnh1995 said:
If you sketch the graph of power vs resistance, you'll see it is symmetrical on both the sides of the peak power.
That is not correct: the power is zero at zero resistance (short circuit) and infinite resistance (open circuit).

@prishila: ok then, one more hint: the current is larger when the load resistance is 4 ohm than when it is 9 ohm.

Likes cnh1995
cnh1995 said:
If you want to go mathematically,
P=I2R will be helpful. Make proper substitution for I in terms of E and r.
r=6 ohm Thank you!

Yep, you're right! I was about to edit..That graph takes infinite time to get back to zero since R is in the denominator. Sorry PietKuip! I need to be careful when guessing the graph without actually plotting it.

Likes PietKuip

Related to Find the internal series resistance of the battery

1. What is internal series resistance of a battery?

Internal series resistance of a battery is the inherent resistance within the battery that affects its ability to deliver power. It is caused by the materials and construction of the battery and can decrease the voltage and current output of the battery.

2. Why is it important to know the internal series resistance of a battery?

Knowing the internal series resistance of a battery is important because it can affect the performance and lifespan of the battery. It can also impact the overall efficiency of a device or system that is powered by the battery.

3. How can the internal series resistance of a battery be measured?

The internal series resistance of a battery can be measured using a multimeter or a specialized battery tester. The battery must be disconnected from any external circuits and the voltage drop across a known load must be measured.

4. What factors can affect the internal series resistance of a battery?

The internal series resistance of a battery can be affected by the type of battery, its age, temperature, and its level of charge. Higher temperatures can increase the resistance, while lower temperatures can decrease it. As a battery ages, its internal resistance may also increase.

5. How can the internal series resistance of a battery be reduced?

The internal series resistance of a battery cannot be reduced, as it is a characteristic of the battery. However, choosing a battery with lower internal resistance or using multiple batteries in parallel can help to mitigate its effects on performance.