Find the interaction potential energy

In summary, the self energy of a point charge is infinite because it would take an infinite amount of work to assemble the charge from an infinitely diffuse cloud of charge. This is due to the extreme limit of squeezing the initial cloud to a mathematical point of zero volume. This reasoning does not apply to continuous charge distributions, as the charge can be spread over a finite surface or volume, resulting in a finite self energy.
ajaysabarish

Homework Statement

2 concentric shells are placed with inner shell having charge q and outer charge -q, with radii a and b respectively.

Homework Equations

don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

the question asked me to find self energy of the 2 shells and interaction potential energy,i found the self energy but i didn't know what is in interaction energy and how to find it,please help

Physics news on Phys.org
The meaning of "interaction potential energy" might be open to some interpretation. Did you give the complete statement of the problem "word for word"?

The system of two shells has a total electrostatic energy Utot.

Each shell has a self energy: Uself,a for the inner shell and Uself,b for the outer shell.

I would think that the interaction energy would be the difference between the total energy of the system and the self energies. That is, Uinteraction = Utot - (Uself,a +Uself,b).

Equivalently, this interaction energy is the sum of the electrostatic energy of every pair of charge elements where one element of the pair is on the inner sphere and the other element is on the outer sphere.

Likes gracy
TSny said:
The meaning of "interaction potential energy" might be open to some interpretation. Did you give the complete statement of the problem "word for word"?

The system of two shells has a total electrostatic energy Utot.

Each shell has a self energy: Uself,a for the inner shell and Uself,b for the outer shell.

I would think that the interaction energy would be the difference between the total energy of the system and the self energies. That is, Uinteraction = Utot - (Uself,a +Uself,b).

Equivalently, this interaction energy is the sum of the electrostatic energy of every pair of charge elements where one element of the pair is on the inner sphere and the other element is on the outer sphere.
i don't think so,sir,this is the answer given(k(-q)/b)(a/b)q
and it is also given that the total potential energy stored in these shells is sum of self energy of shells and interaction energy between the shells

ajaysabarish said:
Is this the answer for the "interaction energy"? It looks strange. It goes to zero as the radius a goes to zero.
I get a different expression for the interaction energy that is actually independent of a (as long as a is less than b).
and it is also given that the total potential energy stored in these shells is sum of self energy of shells and interaction energy between the shells
OK, that's equivalent to my interpretation in post #2.

ajaysabarish said:

This is the interaction potential energy when outer shell has charge -q and inner shell is earthed .

Vibhor said:
This is the interaction potential energy when outer shell has charge -q and inner shell is earthed .
Vibhor: Yes, I agree. That's interesting. Thanks!
---------------------------------------
ajaysabarish, may I ask you to please write out the question word for word as it was given to you?

Likes Vibhor
@TSny , the self energy of a point charge is infinite . Could you please explain ?

And why do we not consider it while finding the self energy of any continuous charge distribution ( for eg . charged shell in the OP ) ?

Vibhor said:
@TSny , the self energy of a point charge is infinite . Could you please explain ?
Yes, the self energy of a point charge is infinite. Are you asking for a reason why the self energy is infinite for the point charge?

And why do we not consider it while finding the self energy of any continuous charge distribution ( for eg . charged shell in the OP ) ?
In classical electromagnetism, a continuous distribution of charge is a convenient fiction where we treat the charge as spread out continuously in a mathematical sense. We should not think of the continuous distribution as made up of a bunch of point charges.

The self energy of a finite charge distribution is the (hypothetical) work required to assemble the distribution starting with the finite charge spread out as an "infinitely diffuse cloud" of charge such that the electric field is initially zero everywhere in space. A point charge is the extreme limit of squeezing the initial cloud to a mathematical point of zero volume. Calculation shows that this would take an infinite amount of work to accomplish.

If you squeeze the cloud to make a line of charge of finite length and zero cross-sectional area, it also takes an infinite amount of work. So again the self energy is infinite.

But if you squeeze the cloud to make a finite surface charge of zero thickness, it only takes a finite amount of work.

So, for the surface charge on a sphere, we can calculate the self energy and find that it is finite.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
Are you asking for a reason why the self energy is infinite for the point charge
Yes . Please explain .

Last edited:
The teacher mentioned it without giving any explanation . Could you please explain why the self energy of point charge is considered infinite .

Well, take two half charges and try to bring them together to form one point charge. How much work is needed ?

Likes Vibhor
BvU said:
Well, take two half charges and try to bring them together to form one point charge. How much work is needed ?
I somehow feel this is not correct reasoning . By this reasoning self energy of continuous charge distribution like shell would also be infinite .

No: in that case dq goes to zero if dr goes to zero.

Another approach is to consider the self energy of a sphere of radius R with a charge Q spread uniformly over the surface. Or, you could take the charge Q as spread uniformly throughout the volume of the sphere. Either way, you will find that the self energy is finite and inversely proportional to R. So, if you let R approach zero while Q remains fixed, you can see what happens if you try to create a point charge.

Likes Vibhor
TSny said:
Another approach is to consider the self energy of a sphere of radius R with a charge Q spread uniformly over the surface. Or, you could take the charge Q as spread uniformly throughout the volume of the sphere. Either way, you will find that the self energy is finite and inversely proportional to R. So, if you let R approach zero while Q remains fixed, you can see what happens if you try to create a point charge.
Great ! :smile: You said "Another approach" .What is the first approach you are referring to ? Are you referring to BvU's Post 11?

Vibhor said:
You said "Another approach" .What is the first approach you are referring to ? Are you referring to BvU's Post 11?
Yes, I was referring to BvU's line of argument.

Likes Vibhor

Related to Find the interaction potential energy

1. What is interaction potential energy?

Interaction potential energy is the energy that exists between two or more objects due to their interactions or forces acting upon each other. It is a measure of the potential for work to be done by these objects as a result of their interactions.

2. How is interaction potential energy calculated?

The calculation of interaction potential energy depends on the type of interaction between the objects. For gravitational interactions, it can be calculated using the formula: U = - G (m1m2)/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them. For electric interactions, the formula is: U = k (q1q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect interaction potential energy?

The factors that affect interaction potential energy include the distance between the interacting objects, the masses or charges of the objects, and the type of interaction (i.e. gravitational, electric, etc.). The strength of the interaction potential energy increases as the distance decreases and as the masses or charges increase.

4. What is the relationship between interaction potential energy and total energy?

The total energy of a system is the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. Interaction potential energy is a type of potential energy, and it contributes to the total energy of a system. As the interaction potential energy increases, the total energy of the system also increases.

5. How does interaction potential energy affect the behavior of a system?

Interaction potential energy plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of a system. It is responsible for the forces between objects and can dictate how they move and interact with each other. The shape and stability of molecules, the orbits of planets, and the behavior of particles in a chemical reaction are all affected by the interaction potential energy between objects.