Find the integral for pumping water out of a cone-shaped tank.

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
The work required is \int_0^8\frac{\pi\delta}{100}h^2(10- h)dh= \frac{\pi\delta}{100}\int_0^8 10h^2- h^3dh= \frac{\pi\delta}{100}\left[10\frac{h^3}{3}- \frac{h^4}{4}\right]_0^8= \frac{\pi\delta}{100}\left[10\frac{8^3}{3}- \frac{8^4}{4}\right]= 682.67\pi\delta Joules.In summary, the problem involves finding the work required to empty a tank
shamieh
All I need to do for this problem is set up the integral...Can someone tell me how to do that?

A tank has the shape of an inverted circular cone with height 10m and base with radius 1m. The tank is filled with water to a height of 8 m . Find the work required to empty the tank by pumping all of the water over the top.NOTE: I just need to set up the integral, I don't actually have to calculate the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are two threads that deal with this kind of problem:

http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/kendra-ns-question-yahoo-answers-regarding-work-done-empty-conical-tank-4661.html

http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/domenics-question-yahoo-answers-regarding-computing-work-empty-tank-8541.html

shamieh said:
All I need to do for this problem is set up the integral...Can someone tell me how to do that?

A tank has the shape of an inverted circular cone with height 10m and base with radius 1m. The tank is filled with water to a height of 8 m . Find the work required to empty the tank by pumping all of the water over the top.NOTE: I just need to set up the integral, I don't actually have to calculate the problem.
From the side the cone looks like a triangle and we can use similar triangles. With height h, the distance from the center of the cone to the side, r, we have r/h= 1/10 so that r= h/10. The area of the disk at that height is [tex]\pi r^2= \pi h^2/100[/tex] and the volume of a thin 'layer of water', with thickness dh is [tex]\frac{\pi}{100}h^2 dh[/tex]. Taking [tex]\delta[/tex] to be the density of water, it's weight is [tex]\frac{\pi\delta}{100}h^2dh[/tex]. Lifting that from height h to height 10m requires [tex]\frac{\pi\delta}{100}h^2(10- h)dh[/tex] Joules of work. Integrate that from h= 0 to h= 8.

Related to Find the integral for pumping water out of a cone-shaped tank.

1. What is the purpose of setting up the Integral?

The purpose of setting up the Integral is to calculate the area under a curve, known as the definite integral, or to find the antiderivative of a function, known as the indefinite integral.

2. What are the basic steps for setting up the Integral?

The basic steps for setting up the Integral include identifying the limits of integration, determining the integrand, and choosing the appropriate method of integration, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution.

3. How do you choose the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are typically determined by the given problem or by the bounds of the region being integrated. They represent the beginning and end points of the interval over which the integration will take place.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and will result in a numerical value, while an indefinite integral has no limits and will result in a function that can be differentiated to yield the original integrand.

5. What are some common applications of setting up the Integral?

The Integral is commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force, in economics to find the total profit or loss of a business, and in statistics to find the probability of a certain event occurring.