Find the initial velocity of truck before collision

In summary, the question asks for the speed of the truck just before the collision with a car that is moving at 30m/s and results in the wreckage being at rest. The relevant equation is m1v1+m2v2 = m1v1'+m2v2', where m1 and m2 represent the masses of the car and truck, respectively, and v1 and v2 represent their initial velocities, while v1' and v2' represent their final velocities. Setting up this equation and solving for the speed of the truck yields a negative answer, indicating that the truck was moving in the opposite direction of the car. This is not incorrect, as the negative sign only represents the direction of motion.
tjae
Question: A car of mass 1500kg collides head-on with a truck of mass 9000kg. After the collision, the wreckage is at rest. The speed of the car just before the collision was 30m/s. What was the speed of the truck just before the collision?

Relevant Equation(s):

m1v1+m2v2 = m1v1'+m2v2' (?)

My Attempt:

(1500kg)(30m/s)+(9000kg)( ___m/s) = (1500kg)(0m/s)+(9000kg)( 0m/s)
(1500kg)(30m/s)+(9000kg)( ___m/s) = 0
(45000 kg*m/s)+(9000kg)(___m/s) = 0

Problem: It's 1 in the morning and I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong. Am I using the right equation? Do I need to set up west and east on the x-axis??

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you are doing something wrong? You will get a negative answer, but that only tells you the truck is moving in the opposite direction of the car.

Related to Find the initial velocity of truck before collision

1. What is the meaning of initial velocity in relation to a truck collision?

The initial velocity of a truck before a collision refers to the speed and direction at which the truck is moving before it comes into contact with another object or vehicle.

2. How is the initial velocity of a truck before collision calculated?

The initial velocity of a truck before collision can be calculated using the equation: v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken. This calculation assumes that the truck is moving at a constant speed before the collision.

3. What factors can affect the initial velocity of a truck before collision?

The initial velocity of a truck before collision can be affected by factors such as the weight and size of the truck, the condition of the road, the weather conditions, and the driver's reaction time.

4. Why is it important to determine the initial velocity of a truck before collision?

Determining the initial velocity of a truck before collision is important for accident reconstruction and determining the cause of the collision. It can also help in determining the severity of the collision and the potential for injuries or damages.

5. Can the initial velocity of a truck before collision be estimated?

Yes, the initial velocity of a truck before collision can be estimated using various methods such as analyzing skid marks, examining damage to the vehicles involved, and using witness statements. However, the most accurate way to determine the initial velocity is through forensic analysis and reconstruction of the accident scene.