Find the Initial Height of a Falling Block

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a 10kg block being released from rest and falling under the effect of gravity. The speed of the block at a height of 2.0 meters is given as 2.5m/sec. The conversation also mentions the use of energy conservation and provides the equation for calculating the height at which the block was initially released.
c4iscool
Where do I start?
A 10kg block being held at rest above the ground is released. The block begins to fall under only the effect of gravity. At the instant that the block is 2.0 meters above the ground, the speed of the block is 2.5m/sec. The block was initially released at a height of how many meters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Energy conservation.

is that the equation m1vf^2-1/2mvi^2, if it is how would u find the height it was released at? or are you talking about potential energy?

Last edited:
c4iscool said:
is that the equation m1vf^2-1/2mvi^2, if it is how would u find the height it was released at?

It's [tex]mgh_1 + \frac{1}{2}mv_1^2 = mgh_2 + \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2[/tex]

The left side (initial) variables are at the instant when the block was at the "top", and those on the right (final) are the instant when the block is at the given height of 2m. Therefore, it is Initial energy = Final energy.

so your saying:
(10kg)(9.8m/sec)h+(1/2)10kg(0^2)=10kg(9.8m/sec)(2m)+(1/2)10kg(2.5m/sec)^2

i should have it from here. thanks

Hootenanny said:
[tex]10\times 9.8 h = 10\times 9.8 (h - 2) + \frac{1}{2}\times 10 \times 2.5^{2}[/tex]

Correct me if I'm wrong, Hootenanny, but isn't that the expression for the block which has fallen a distance of two metres from the initial position. In fact if you expand the terms, you get 196 = 31.25. :wink:

neutrino said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, Hootenanny, but isn't that the expression for the block which has fallen a distance of two metres from the initial position. In fact if you expand the terms, you get 196 = 31.25. :wink:
My bad. I apologise the OP had it correct first time round. :blushing: . The only excuse I can offer is that it was rather late last night when I posted :redface: . Thanks for pointing that out neutrino :smile:

Related to Find the Initial Height of a Falling Block

1. What is the formula for finding the initial height of a falling block?

The formula for finding the initial height of a falling block is h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time elapsed.

2. How do I measure the time elapsed for a falling block?

The time elapsed for a falling block can be measured using a stopwatch or by recording the time it takes for the block to fall using a high-speed camera.

3. What is the significance of finding the initial height of a falling block?

Finding the initial height of a falling block is important in understanding the motion and trajectory of the block. It can also be used to calculate the potential energy of the block at its starting position.

4. Can the initial height of a falling block be negative?

Yes, the initial height of a falling block can be negative if the block is dropped from a height below the reference point, such as below ground level.

5. How does air resistance affect the calculation of the initial height of a falling block?

Air resistance can slightly affect the calculation of the initial height of a falling block, but it is usually negligible for small objects. However, for larger objects or in situations with a significant amount of air resistance, it may need to be taken into account in the calculation.