Find the Image of a Point Object at a Glass Sphere

In summary: R.I of 1.5In summary, the problem involves an object at a distance of 2.5cm from a glass sphere with a radius of 10cm and a refractive index of 1.5. The goal is to find the final image of the point object. After calculations, the attempt at a solution resulted in an image distance of -85cm, which is not the correct answer. Further clarification is needed regarding the nature of the interface and refractive indices involved.
pardesi

Homework Statement

An object is kept at a distance d=2.5cm from a Glass sphere of radii R=10 cm .Find the final image of the point object?

[tex]\mu =1.5[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\mu_{2}}{v}-\frac{\mu_{1}}{u}=\frac{\mu_{2}-\mu_{1}}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

it is a simple question where we have two interfaces and we have to calculate the image due to 1st surface which acts as object for second and then the final image.
But i am not getting the answer

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your calculations. What is your answer? What are the values of refractive indices

the answer is 15cm in front of mirror
attempt being
for the first case object distance is -2.5cm and R.I is 1.5 plugging in the formulae i get
the image distance is v=-30/7
so this ats as image for 2nd surface and bject distance being u=-170/7=-30/7-20

again putiing in the values gives v=-85 cm which is far from the answer i don't get what i did wrong

pardesi said:
An object is kept at a distance d=2.5cm from a sphere of radii R=10 cm .Find the final image of the point object?

The Attempt at a Solution

it is a simple question where we have two interfaces and we have to calculate the image due to 1st surface which acts as object for second and then the final image.
But i am not getting the answer

The problem, as stated in the first para, presumably talks about a mirror. The attempt at solution talks about interfaces and RIs. Would you formulate the problem clearly?

sorry it is a GLass SPhere

Related to Find the Image of a Point Object at a Glass Sphere

1. What is the concept behind finding the image of a point object at a glass sphere?

The concept behind finding the image of a point object at a glass sphere is based on the principles of geometric optics. When light rays pass through a spherical surface, they undergo refraction, which causes them to change direction. This change in direction is what creates the image of the point object on the other side of the glass sphere.

2. How does the curvature of the glass sphere affect the image of the point object?

The curvature of the glass sphere plays a significant role in determining the characteristics of the image of the point object. A convex glass sphere will produce a magnified and upright image, while a concave glass sphere will produce a diminished and inverted image. The exact size and orientation of the image will depend on the radius of curvature of the glass sphere.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between the point object and the glass sphere and the distance between the image and the glass sphere?

The distance between the point object and the glass sphere is directly proportional to the distance between the image and the glass sphere. This means that as the point object gets closer to the glass sphere, the image will also move closer to the glass sphere. Similarly, if the point object is moved further away, the image will also move further away.

4. How does the index of refraction of the glass sphere affect the image of the point object?

The index of refraction of the glass sphere determines the amount of refraction that occurs as light passes through it. A higher index of refraction means that light will bend more as it passes through the glass sphere, resulting in a more pronounced image. On the other hand, a lower index of refraction will result in less bending and a less distinct image.

5. Is the image of the point object at a glass sphere always a perfect representation of the object?

No, the image of the point object at a glass sphere is not always a perfect representation of the object. Factors such as imperfections in the glass sphere, the angle at which the light enters the glass sphere, and the wavelength of light can all affect the quality and accuracy of the image. Additionally, the glass sphere may also produce distortions or aberrations in the image, which can further impact its accuracy.