Are Our Online Identities Really Who We Claim to Be?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that the internet and forms of communication may mask our identities and allow us to create false personas. The movie Being John Malkovich serves as a metaphor for this concept. However, it is also argued that these forms of communication can also reveal aspects of our true personality. The conversation also touches on the idea of exaggeration and lies in online interactions.
eNtRopY
I believe the movie Being John Malkovich was a social commentary on the voyeuristic aspects associated with internet. Here we sit, talking to each through our computers, masked by the profiles we provide each other with. How much of what we write is 100% true? Do we exagerate, elaborate, overblemish the stories we tell each other? Do we make ourselves seem to be the heros we really wish we were? Are we living vicariously through our internet personas?

The movie Being John Malkovich showed us an extended metaphor of what we are really doing to ourselves. Webcams, instant messangers, and public forums... are they really helping us interact... or are discouraging us from being real?

eNtRopY

Physics news on Phys.org
Having faith in the lack of imagination of the majority, I reckon that the internet and forms of communication may mask our identity in some ways, but it allows the development and exposure of our personality in others. Even when living and being a lie, the lie must come from somewhere, and must change you. Talking cannot be a bad thing - if we dream, we dream together?

Alternatively, Zero could be GWB in disguise, Alexander could be the Pope, Tom could be Saddam...

Hey, I actually am Mr. Robin Parsons, no it's true!, I am him, I' tellin ya, it is the truth, my mom gave me my username, it's true I'm telling ya! I'm NOT lieing! I'm NOT! really really really really really the truth!

(but none of you can prove it, so...)

(please pardon my <sorta sick> sense of humor...ok?)

EDIT actually I sort of lied, cause my Mom gave me the first part of my username, my Dad gave me the last part. (And even that line can be construed as a "partiallity of truth")

Last edited:

1. What is the plot of "Being John Malkovich"?

The plot of "Being John Malkovich" follows a puppeteer named Craig who discovers a portal that leads into the mind of actor John Malkovich for 15 minutes. He and his co-worker Maxine use this portal for their own personal gain, but things become complicated when Craig's wife Lotte also enters the portal and falls in love with Maxine.

2. Is "Being John Malkovich" based on a true story?

No, "Being John Malkovich" is a work of fiction and not based on a true story. However, the concept of entering someone else's mind is a popular thought experiment in philosophy and science fiction.

3. Who stars in "Being John Malkovich"?

The main cast of "Being John Malkovich" includes John Cusack as Craig, Cameron Diaz as Lotte, Catherine Keener as Maxine, and of course, John Malkovich as himself.

4. Who wrote and directed "Being John Malkovich"?

"Being John Malkovich" was written by Charlie Kaufman and directed by Spike Jonze. It was their first collaboration together and helped launch their successful careers in the film industry.

5. What is the significance of the title "Being John Malkovich"?

The title "Being John Malkovich" alludes to the central theme of the film, which explores the concept of identity and what it means to be someone else. The movie also plays with the idea of celebrity and the blurred lines between an actor's real self and their on-screen persona.