Find the gradient of the curve

In summary, the gradient of the curve y=\frac{5x-4}{x^2} at the point where the curve crosses the x-axis is -\frac{5}{x^2} + \frac{8}{x^3}. To find the x-intercept, substitute y=0 into the equation and solve for x. The correct answer is 4/5.
footprints
Find the gradient of the curve [tex]y=\frac{5x-4}{x^2}[/tex] at the point where the curve crosses the x-axis.
After I differentiating the equation, I got [tex]-\frac{5}{x^2} + \frac{8}{x^3}[/tex] (it might be wrong). Now what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, dy/dx gives you the gradient at x. The curve crosses the x-axis when y = 0. You've worked out the derivative correctly though.

The curve crosses the x-axis when y = 0
I thought so too. But I couldn't get the right answer.

footprints said:
I thought so too. But I couldn't get the right answer.

What answer did you get?

[tex]3\frac{1}{8}[/tex]

footprints said:
[tex]3\frac{1}{8}[/tex]

Can you post your working? I got dy/dx = 7.8125. Also, what value did you get for the x intercept?

Last edited:
To get x I must substitue y=0 into [tex]y=\frac{5x-4}{x^2}[/tex] right?
Btw the answer my book gives me is the same as yours

footprints said:
To get x I must substitue y=0 into [tex]y=\frac{5x-4}{x^2}[/tex] right?
Btw the answer my book gives me is the same as yours

Yes, then solve for x.

y = (5x - 4)/x^2

=> (5x - 4)/x^2 = 0

Need to solve for the numerator being equal to 0, so x = 4/5.

Thats great. Then I plugged in 4/5 into
[tex]-\frac{5}{x^2} + \frac{8}{x^3} \rightarrow -\frac{5}{\frac{4}{5}^2} + \frac{8}{\frac{4}{5}^3}[/tex]
Then I solve and get [tex]3\frac{1}{8}[/tex]

Oh now I know why I didn't get the answer. I calculated a part wrong. Sorry. Thank you for your time.

No problem :smile:.

Related to Find the gradient of the curve

1. What is the gradient of a curve?

The gradient of a curve is a measure of how steep the curve is at any given point. It represents the rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the gradient of a curve?

To find the gradient of a curve, you need to find the derivative of the curve at the given point. This can be done using calculus or by using a gradient function on a graphing calculator.

3. Why is finding the gradient of a curve important?

The gradient of a curve is important because it can help us understand the behavior of the curve and make predictions about its future values. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.

4. What can the gradient of a curve tell us about the curve?

The gradient of a curve can tell us the direction and rate of change of the curve at a specific point. It can also give us information about the slope of the curve, the concavity, and the critical points of the curve.

5. Can the gradient of a curve be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a curve can be negative. This indicates that the curve is decreasing at that point and has a negative slope. A positive gradient indicates that the curve is increasing and has a positive slope.