Find the global extrema of this function over the given region

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the global maximum and minimum values of a function on a given domain. The critical points are (0,0) and (2,1), which are determined to be saddle points. However, when looking at the boundaries, it is found that there is no global minimum as the function approaches negative infinity along the line x = 0. Similarly, there is no global maximum as the function approaches positive infinity along the line y = 1. This conclusion is confirmed by considering the function on the unit square domain, where the critical point (2,1) is outside the domain and the boundary consists of four line segments.
Vishak95
Hi MHB. Can someone help me with this one please?

View attachment 1595I've worked out that the critical points are (0,0) and (2,1). But looking at the boundary x = 0, there seems to be no limit to the minimum value. Also, on the boundary y = 1, the value of f(x,1) = -1.

So, would I be correct in saying that the global maximum value occurs at (2,1) and that there is no global minimum?

Attachments

• Global maxima.jpg
    Global maxima.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 56
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Find the global maxima of this function

Before we look at the boundaries, have you used second partials test for relative extrema to determine that nature of the critical points (which you have correctly determined)?

The critical points both appear to be saddle points (the derivative D = -1 for both)

Vishak said:
The critical points both appear to be saddle points (the derivative D = -1 for both)

Yes, I get the same result. :D

So now you want to look at the boundaries. What are they?

Great :D

I think the only real boundaries would be x = 0 , and y = 1

Vishak said:
Great :D

I think the only real boundaries would be x = 0 , and y = 1

Yes, those are the real boundaries. You have already found that:

\(\displaystyle f(0,y)=-y^2\)

and because:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{y\to-\infty}\left(-y^2 \right)=-\infty\)

You correctly conclude that the function has no global minimum. Suppose we choose an arbitrary value for $y$, such as $y=-k$ where $0<k$. Then the function is:

\(\displaystyle f(x,-k)=\left(k^2+k \right)x-k^2\)

What is the limit of this as \(\displaystyle x\to\infty\)?

The limit appears to be going to \(\displaystyle \infty \). So then I guess that there is no global maximum either?

Vishak said:
The limit appears to be going to \(\displaystyle \infty \). So then I guess that there is no global maximum either?

Yes, I come to the same conclusion. :D

Awesome! Thank you Mark :D

Vishak said:
Hi MHB. Can someone help me with this one please?

View attachment 1595I've worked out that the critical points are (0,0) and (2,1). But looking at the boundary x = 0, there seems to be no limit to the minimum value. Also, on the boundary y = 1, the value of f(x,1) = -1.

So, would I be correct in saying that the global maximum value occurs at (2,1) and that there is no global minimum?
Caution: some people use $\{(x,y)\ |\ 0\leq x,y\leq1\}$ as an abbreviation for $\{(x,y)\ |\ 0\leq x\leq1 \text{ and }0\leq y\leq1\}$. I suspect that is what is intended here. If so, you are being asked for the extreme values of $f(x,y)$ on the unit square. Then the critical point $(2,1)$ is outside the domain $D$, and the boundary consists of four line segments.

Opalg said:
Caution: some people use $\{(x,y)\ |\ 0\leq x,y\leq1\}$ as an abbreviation for $\{(x,y)\ |\ 0\leq x\leq1 \text{ and }0\leq y\leq1\}$. I suspect that is what is intended here. If so, you are being asked for the extreme values of $f(x,y)$ on the unit square. Then the critical point $(2,1)$ is outside the domain $D$, and the boundary consists of four line segments.

That makes much more sense as a problem. :D

Related to Find the global extrema of this function over the given region

1. What is the purpose of finding global extrema of a function?

The global extrema of a function represent the highest and lowest values of the function over a given region. This information is important in understanding the behavior of the function and can be used to make predictions or optimize the function.

2. How is the global extrema of a function different from local extrema?

The global extrema of a function refer to the highest and lowest values of the function over the entire given region. Local extrema, on the other hand, are the highest and lowest values of the function within a specific interval or neighborhood.

3. What methods can be used to find the global extrema of a function?

There are several methods that can be used to find the global extrema of a function, including the first and second derivative tests, critical point analysis, and using the extreme value theorem. Each method may be more suitable for different types of functions.

4. Can a function have multiple global extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple global extrema. These would be the highest and lowest values of the function over the given region. However, it is also possible for a function to have only one global extremum or none at all.

5. How does the given region affect the global extrema of a function?

The given region defines the boundaries within which the function will be evaluated. This can impact the global extrema of the function, as the highest and lowest values may change depending on the range of the region. It is important to carefully consider the given region when finding the global extrema of a function.