How can I prove the space diagonal of a cuboid using the sum of squares?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for finding the space diagonal of a cuboid, which is the square root of the sum of the squares of the side lengths. The picture provided shows the relationship between the space diagonal and the face diagonal. The conversation also includes a person's attempt at solving the formula using Pythagoras's theorem and a reminder that this formula applies to all cuboids, with a perfect cuboid being a special case where all edges and diagonals are integers.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
im trying to proove that d_abc=(a^2+b^2+c^2)^0.5
that the space diagonal of a cuboid equals the square root of the sum of the squares of the side lengths.
here is the picture of cuboid and the diagonals:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PerfectCuboid.html

now here's what i did:
{y}={the part of the space diagonal from the face diagonal d_bc till it touches c}
{z}={the rest of the sapce diagonal}
y^2=a^2+x^2
z^2=(c-x)^2+b^2
z+y=d_abc=(a^2+x^2)^0.5+[(c-x)^2+b^2]^0.5
from here I am stuck, can someone help me understand what should i do.

p.s- it's not hw.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
From pythagorus's theorum, we know that:

[tex]{d_{ab}}^{ 2} = a^2 + b^2[/tex]

Also from pythagorus's theroum we known that:

[tex]{d_{abc}}^2 = {d_{ab}}^2 + c^2[/tex]

simply substitue the first equation into the second and find the root and you get:

[tex]d_{abc} = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2[/tex]

Last edited:
PS. the above holds true for any cuboid, a perfect cuboid isonly a special cae where all the edges and diagonals are intergers.

What is the space diagonal of a cuboid?

The space diagonal of a cuboid is the longest possible distance between any two points within the cuboid. It is also known as the body diagonal.

How do you calculate the space diagonal of a cuboid?

The space diagonal of a cuboid can be calculated using the formula √(a² + b² + c²), where a, b, and c are the length, width, and height of the cuboid, respectively.

Why is the space diagonal important in cuboids?

The space diagonal is important because it helps determine the overall size and shape of a cuboid, and is necessary for calculating its volume and surface area.

Can the space diagonal of a cuboid be greater than its longest side?

No, the space diagonal of a cuboid cannot be greater than its longest side. In fact, it is always equal to or less than the longest side.

What is the relationship between the space diagonal and the other diagonals of a cuboid?

The space diagonal is related to the other diagonals of a cuboid through the Pythagorean theorem. For example, the space diagonal is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two diagonals.