Find the frictional force on the skis

In summary: So the magnitude of the force vectors acting on the skier are air resistance (74), friction (558), and gravity (10).
ramenluver50

Homework Statement

A skier of mass 57 kg skis down a 10° slope @ constant velocity.
The force of air resist. has a magnitude of 74 N. Find the frictional force on the skis.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F(fr) = (mu)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Fn= ma
where is 558N
so far i tried, 74sin10- 558
and i tried drawing a body diagram, where 558 is directly upwards, 9.8 down for gravity, the downward slope of 74 N at 10 deg

Physics news on Phys.org
ramenluver50 said:

Homework Statement

A skier of mass 57 kg skis down a 10° slope @ constant velocity.
The force of air resist. has a magnitude of 74 N. Find the frictional force on the skis.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F(fr) = (mu)(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Fn= ma
where is 558N
so far i tried, 74sin10- 558
and i tried drawing a body diagram, where 558 is directly upwards, 9.8 down for gravity, the downward slope of 74 N at 10 deg

Hint -- sum the forces in the direction of the motion of the skier (along the direction of the slope). What do those forces need to sum to?

it would be the sum of normal force, and air resistance?
so it should be 74 +558 ?

ramenluver50 said:
it would be the sum of normal force, and air resistance?
so it should be 74 +558 ?

The normal force is orthogonal to the slope, not parallel to it. Which way does the air resistance vector point? The friction force vector? What force vector opposes those two vectors?

air resistance is opposite to the velocity, and friction force should be the same,

gravitainal force opposes it but i don't think directly bc its is not parallel to the slope.

ramenluver50 said:
air resistance is opposite to the velocity, and friction force should be the same,

gravitainal force opposes it but i don't think directly bc its is not parallel to the slope.

But one component of the gravitational force is parallel to the slope... Is it the sin or cos component? Remember that if the slope is zero degrees, the gravitational component of force paralle to the slope is zero...

it is sin, (lookin for the Y component of the slope)

which i had (74 sin 10),

ramenluver50 said:
it is sin, (lookin for the Y component of the slope)

which i had (74 sin 10),

74 N is the force from air resistance, not gravity.

Write the sum of the forces in the direction parallel to the slope. What do you want to set that sum to equal, and why?

umm I am lost now... maybe i drew it wrong...

the air resistance is the magnitude isn't it?

iono.. start over?

ramenluver50 said:
umm I am lost now... maybe i drew it wrong...

the air resistance is the magnitude isn't it?

iono.. start over?

Describe (or post) your FBD. What force vectors act on the skier?

what is FBD? , the forces affecting the skier is air resistance, *frictional force, gravity, velocity

FBD = free body diagram. You alluded to it in your first post.

And velocity is not a force...

down is 9.8 (gravity,) down slope is 74 in mag. the slope from the X axis is 10 deg from it.the Y of the triangle i believe is (74 sin 10) and perpendicular to the slope i hav upward is 558 N

Related to Find the frictional force on the skis

1. What is frictional force and how does it affect skis?

Frictional force is the resistance that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other. In the case of skiing, frictional force plays a crucial role in determining how easily the skis glide over the snow.

2. How is the frictional force on skis calculated?

The frictional force on skis can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the ski and the snow by the weight of the skier. This will give you the maximum frictional force that can be exerted on the skis.

3. What factors can affect the frictional force on skis?

The frictional force on skis can be affected by various factors such as the type and condition of the snow, the angle of the slope, the weight and speed of the skier, and the design and materials of the skis.

4. How does waxing affect the frictional force on skis?

Waxing is a technique used to reduce the frictional force on skis. It involves applying a layer of wax on the bottom of the skis, which helps to reduce the resistance between the ski and the snow. This allows the skis to glide more easily and smoothly.

5. Can the frictional force on skis be completely eliminated?

No, the frictional force on skis cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using techniques such as waxing, choosing appropriate ski equipment, and adjusting skiing techniques.