Find the Frequency Spectrum of an optical communication link

In summary, the purpose of finding the frequency spectrum of an optical communication link is to understand the behavior and utilized frequencies for communication. This spectrum is typically measured using a spectrum analyzer that converts light signals into electrical signals. Factors such as the type of light source, quality of components, and external interference can affect the spectrum. The performance of an optical communication link can be impacted by the spectrum's width, and it can be optimized through the use of high-quality components and careful frequency selection. Proper maintenance and monitoring can also help maintain optimal performance.
E&H12

Homework Statement

upload_2014-12-8_2-52-9.png

upload_2014-12-8_2-53-8.png

upload_2014-12-8_2-53-16.png

2. Homework Equations

10 Log[10](g/mW)= GdBw

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached a document of my approach to this question. I would like to know if my approach is correct? Thank you for your assistance

Attachments

• Find_spectrum.docx
    137.8 KB · Views: 170
I have completed the question in the attached word document, and I was looking for confirmation as to whether my approach was correct. Unfortunately I was not given the answer to this question from my professor, that is why I am looking to solve it through this forum.

Related to Find the Frequency Spectrum of an optical communication link

1. What is the purpose of finding the frequency spectrum of an optical communication link?

The frequency spectrum of an optical communication link refers to the range of frequencies that are used to transmit information through light waves. The purpose of finding this spectrum is to understand how the optical link behaves and what frequencies are being utilized for communication.

2. How is the frequency spectrum of an optical communication link measured?

The frequency spectrum of an optical communication link is typically measured using a spectrum analyzer. This device uses a photodetector to convert the light signals into electrical signals, which are then analyzed to determine the frequencies present in the optical link.

3. What factors can affect the frequency spectrum of an optical communication link?

There are several factors that can affect the frequency spectrum of an optical communication link, including the type of light source used, the quality of the optical components, and external interference from other electronic devices or sources.

4. How does the frequency spectrum impact the performance of an optical communication link?

The frequency spectrum of an optical communication link can greatly impact its performance. If the spectrum is too narrow, it may limit the amount of data that can be transmitted. On the other hand, if the spectrum is too wide, it may result in interference and decrease the quality of the transmitted signal.

5. Can the frequency spectrum of an optical communication link be optimized?

Yes, the frequency spectrum of an optical communication link can be optimized by using high-quality components and carefully selecting the appropriate frequencies for transmission. Additionally, proper maintenance and monitoring can help prevent interference and maintain optimal performance.