Find the force function for a particle subject to a central

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force function for a particle subject to a central field for two different orbits. The participants consider using the derivative of the orbit and discuss whether to work in polar coordinates or use the derivative directly. They also mention considering the radial and azimuthal components of acceleration and the role of angular momentum in a central field.
Futurestar33

Homework Statement

The problem is stated as Find the force function for a particle subject to a central field for each of the orbits as follows
a.) r=roCosθ
b.) r=roe^kθ[/B]

Homework Equations

We know the F(x)= dv/dx

here I am assuming F(x)=dv/dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I just take the derivative of the orbit. I believe so but it must be in a different way.
Should I make r=√(x^2+y^2) or simply just take the derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that either F(x)=dv/dx or dv/d theta. You could have mdv/dt or mv dv/dx.

Futurestar33 said:

Homework Statement

The problem is stated as Find the force function for a particle subject to a central field for each of the orbits as follows
a.) r=roCosθ
b.) r=roe^kθ[/B]Do I just take the derivative of the orbit. I believe so but it must be in a different way.
Should I make r=√(x^2+y^2) or simply just take the derivative?

Work in polar coordinates. What are the radial and azimuthal components of the acceleration? What do you know about the angular momentum in a central field?

Related to Find the force function for a particle subject to a central

1. What is a central force?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object towards or away from a central point. This type of force is dependent on the distance between the object and the central point, and its direction is always along the line connecting the two.

2. How do you find the force function for a particle subject to a central force?

To find the force function for a particle subject to a central force, you need to use the Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By solving the equation for acceleration, you can obtain the force function.

3. What are the common examples of central forces?

Some common examples of central forces include gravitational force, electrostatic force, and magnetic force. These forces act on objects towards or away from a central point, such as the center of the earth, a charged particle, or a magnet.

4. What is the significance of finding the force function for a particle subject to a central force?

Finding the force function for a particle subject to a central force allows us to understand the motion of the object and predict its behavior under different conditions. It also helps in studying the relationship between the force and the distance between the object and the central point.

5. Can the force function for a particle subject to a central force change?

Yes, the force function for a particle subject to a central force can change depending on the distance between the object and the central point. For example, in the case of a gravitational force, the force function will decrease as the distance between two objects increases.