Find the force and the torque so that the cylinder is in balance

In summary, the conversation discusses the balance of a cylinder in a fluid environment, neglecting atmospheric pressure. The solution involves using the Euler equation and solving for pressure, with $\overrightarrow{u}=0$ and $\overrightarrow{b}=\overrightarrow{g}$ as given conditions. This leads to the equation $p(z)=-\rho_0 g z+\lambda$, where $z=0$ corresponds to $p=p_a$. To calculate the force and torque, the integral $\int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi} p(\theta)\frac{D}{2}d \theta$ is taken, with $\theta=0$ to $\theta=\pi$ representing the angle from $A
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

At the cylinder of the picture there are static pressures from environment fluid of density $\rho$. If we neglect the atmospheric pressure, calculate how much force and how much torque is needed so that the cylinder balance.

View attachment 4436

In my notes there is the solution, but I haven't really understood it...

The Euler equation is $$\rho \frac{D \overrightarrow{u}}{D T}=-\nabla p+\rho \overrightarrow{b}$$

Since the cylinder should be in balance we have that $\overrightarrow{u}=0$.

We also have that $\overrightarrow{b}=\overrightarrow{g}$

That means that $$\nabla p=\rho \overrightarrow{b}=\rho \overrightarrow{g}$$

Since $\overrightarrow{g}=-g\hat{k}$ we have that $$\nabla p=-\rho_0 g \hat{k} \Rightarrow \partial_xp=0 \ \ , \ \ \partial_yp=0 \ \ , \ \ \partial_zp=-\rho_0 g$$

$$\Rightarrow \frac{dp}{dz}=-\rho_0 g \Rightarrow p(z)=-\rho_0 g z+\lambda$$

Is it correct so far?? (Wondering) After that in my notes there is the following which I don't understand:

$$p(z)=-\rho_0 g z+\lambda$$

View attachment 4437

$$z=0 \ \ \ \ \ p(z=0)=\lambda =p_a \\ p(z)-p_a=-\rho g z=-\rho_0 g h$$

View attachment 4438

$$P(\theta)=\rho_0 g h(\theta)=\rho_0 g\frac{D}{2}(1-\cos \theta)$$

$$P(\theta) dA=P(\theta)\left (1 \cdot \frac{D}{2}d\theta\right )$$

View attachment 4439

$$F_{AB}=\int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi} p(\theta)\frac{D}{2}d \theta \\ F_{B \Gamma}= \dots $$

Could you explain to me the part I don't understand?? (Wondering)

Attachments

• cylindrical.png
    cylindrical.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 45
  • z_h.png
    z_h.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 50
  • P(theta).png
    P(theta).png
    4.7 KB · Views: 55
  • d_theta.png
    d_theta.png
    452 bytes · Views: 53
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have the following questions:

Why is for $z=0$, $p=p_a$ ?? And also why do we replace $z$ with $h$ ??

At the end to compute the force do we take the integral to add the force at each part at which we divide the cylinder??

Since $\theta$ is the angle from $A$ and we want to calculate the force from A to B we take the limits $\theta=0$ to $\theta=\pi$, right?? So, to find the force $F_{B \Gamma}$ we have to calculate the integral $\int_{\phi=0}^{\phi=\frac{\pi}{2}} p(\phi)\frac{D}{2}d \phi$, right??

Which is the force and which is the torque that we are looking for at the solution of my notes??

(Wondering)

Related to Find the force and the torque so that the cylinder is in balance

1. What is the definition of force and torque?

Force is a vector quantity that measures the push or pull on an object, while torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object.

2. How do you calculate the force and torque needed for balance?

To calculate the force needed for balance, you need to consider the weight of the cylinder and the force acting on the opposite side. To calculate the torque, you need to multiply the force by the distance from the pivot point.

3. How does the weight of the cylinder affect the force and torque needed for balance?

The weight of the cylinder will determine the force needed to balance it. The heavier the cylinder, the greater the force needed. The weight also affects the torque needed, as it will determine the distance from the pivot point.

4. What other factors should be considered when finding the force and torque for balance?

Other factors that should be considered include the shape and size of the cylinder, the material it is made of, and any external forces acting on the cylinder.

5. Can the force and torque for balance be calculated for any type of cylinder?

Yes, the force and torque for balance can be calculated for any type of cylinder as long as the necessary information, such as weight, dimensions, and external forces, is known.