Find the extremities of latus rectum of the parabola

• Thread starter rajatgl16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, to find the extremities of the latus rectum of the parabola y=x^2-2x+3, we can use the general form of parabolic equations and compare it to the given equation. By finding the value of a, we can determine that the extremities are at (0,1/4) and (0,-1/4). It is also important to note that the focus of the parabola is always a units above the vertex.
rajatgl16
Find the extremities of latus rectum of the parabola y=(x^2)-2x+3.

Please someone post its solution. Ans. is (1/2,9/4) (3/2,9/4).

i just need full solution. I tried a lot but didn't get this correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Show us what you've tried in order to find the equation of the latus rectum.

y=x^2-2x+3
x^2-2x=y-3
x^2-2x+1=y-3+1
(x-1)^2=1(y-2)

let X=x-1 and Y=y-2
then equation becomes X^2=Y

on comparing it with x^2=4ay which is general form of parabolic equations we get
a=1/4

so according to me extremities of latus rectum should be (0,1/4) (0,-1/4)...I'm in 11th grade and i just started this topic first time few days back. So I'm very new for it..

y=x^2-2x+3
x^2-2x=y-3
x^2-2x+1=y-3+1
(x-1)^2=1(y-2)

let X=x-1 and Y=y-2
then equation becomes X^2=Y

on comparing it with x^2=4ay which is general form of parabolic equations we get
a=1/4

so according to me extremities of latus rectum should be (0,1/4) (0,-1/4)...

I'm in 11th grade and i just started this topic first time few days back. So I'm very new for it..

They should be those coordinates for a parabola that is y=x2 but yours isn't that, it is y-2=(x-1)2. for a parabola y=x2 the vertex is at (0,0) and focus is at (0,a) which suggests that for a parabola is the form y-k=(x-h)2 the vertex is at (h,k) and the focus is then at...?

Hmmm. I don't know. Please you tell me

If the vertex is at (0,0) and the focus is at (0,a) then the focus is always a units above the vertex (actually, inside the parabola would be better since if the parabola is curving downwards then the focus is a units down). Then for a parabola with centre (h,k) the focus will be?

Focus should be (h, k+a). And what about latus rectum

Hey i got the correct ans. Thanks, thanks a lot for helping me

That's it! :smile: The latus rectum is just y=k+a, so you find where that line intercepts the parabola.

No problem, take care.

Related to Find the extremities of latus rectum of the parabola

1. What is the definition of latus rectum?

The latus rectum of a parabola is the line segment perpendicular to the axis of symmetry and passing through the focus point. It is also known as the focal chord.

2. How do you find the extremities of latus rectum of a parabola?

In order to find the extremities of the latus rectum, you need to first determine the focus point and the vertex of the parabola. Then, using the distance formula, you can calculate the length of the latus rectum on either side of the focus point.

3. What is the relationship between latus rectum and the focal length of a parabola?

The latus rectum is equal to the focal length of a parabola. This means that the length of the latus rectum is equal to the distance between the focus point and the vertex of the parabola.

4. Can the extremities of latus rectum be negative?

Yes, the extremities of latus rectum can be negative if the parabola is oriented in a downward direction. In this case, the latus rectum will be below the x-axis and will have a negative length.

5. How is the latus rectum of a parabola used in real life?

The latus rectum of a parabola is used in real life to calculate the focal length of satellite dishes and telescope mirrors. It is also used in optics to determine the focal length of lenses. Additionally, the latus rectum plays a key role in understanding the trajectory of projectiles in physics.