Non-free-fall Acceleration Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with understanding the material and asking for help with a physics problem involving a rocket accelerating at a constant rate. The expert provides the correct answer and offers advice on how to approach similar problems in the future. They also share the kinematic equations that are useful for solving these types of problems. The student expresses gratitude for the help and apologizes for not recognizing that the problem was similar to one they had previously received help with.
holly
Sorry to have so many questions. Obviously, I am just not understanding the material. Our professor does not provide keys to problem sets he gives...

The Question: If a rocket initially at rest accelerates at a rate of 50m/s/s for 1 minute, its speed will be: ? I used d=1/2 at**2 (evidently the only formula I can remember, ha ha)...and got 3000 m/s. Correct?

Thank you...
"If I have seen less than others, it is because some giant's shoulders are always in the way."

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct, but it looks like you made it more complicated than necessary; if you write out exactly how you got the answer you did, we may be able to clear that up a little.

This problem is exactly the same as your last problem. You are given a constant acceleration, a duration (time) for that constant acceleration, and an initial velocity (starts from rest; v0 = 0). Using v = v0 + at will give you the velocity at a given time.

Here are the main kinematic equations that you should keep in mind for constant acceleration problems:

[tex] v = v_0 + at [/tex]
[tex] v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a\Delta x [/tex]
[tex] x = x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{at^2}{2} [/tex]

(They all come from the definitions of velocity, acceleration, and position, but that's only important if you're interested.)

I hope those all look familiar. You should notice that the first equation gives velocity as a function of time, the second one gives velocity as a function of distance, and the last one gives position as a function of time. (They all are for constant acceleration.) Try to get a feel for what you should use based on what information is given in your problem and what is asked in the problem. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Thx for Help

Thank you for the help and especially for the advice about getting a feel for what it is I am being asked in the questions. I'm mortified that I did not recognize that it was basically the same problem as the one you answered before. And thank you for the kinematic equations, I will share them with my classmates. Thank you again.

No problem at all. The more problems you do, the easier these will get; you may even start having fun doing them.

1. What is non-free-fall acceleration?

Non-free-fall acceleration refers to the acceleration of an object due to a force other than gravity. This can include acceleration caused by a pushing or pulling force, or by a change in direction such as in circular motion.

2. What is the difference between free-fall and non-free-fall acceleration?

The main difference between free-fall and non-free-fall acceleration is the cause of the acceleration. Free-fall acceleration is caused by the force of gravity, while non-free-fall acceleration is caused by other forces acting on the object.

3. How is non-free-fall acceleration calculated?

Non-free-fall acceleration can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). By knowing the mass of the object and the force acting on it, the acceleration can be determined.

4. What are some common examples of non-free-fall acceleration?

Some common examples of non-free-fall acceleration include a car accelerating or decelerating, a ball being thrown or kicked, or a roller coaster going through loops or turns. Any situation where an object is accelerating due to a force other than gravity is considered non-free-fall acceleration.

5. How does air resistance affect non-free-fall acceleration?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect non-free-fall acceleration by opposing the motion of an object. This can result in a decrease in acceleration as the object has to overcome the force of air resistance. In some cases, air resistance may be negligible, but in others, it can significantly impact the acceleration of an object.