Find the equivalent resistance (Req) of the simple circuit.

In summary, the equivalent resistance between points a and b in the given circuit is 7 ohms. This is calculated by first finding the parallel combination of the 6, 12, and 4 ohm resistors, resulting in 2 ohms. This is then in series with the 2 ohm resistor, yielding a total of 4 ohms. The 10 ohm resistor can be ignored in the calculation since it is shorted and has a voltage drop of 0. Therefore, the final equivalent resistance is 7 ohms.
sugz

Homework Statement

What is the equivalent resistance between points a and b in the Figure shown.
equivalent resistance.jpg

Homework Equations

Equivalent of two resistors (e.g R1 and R2)= R1*R2/(R1+R2)
Equivalent of two resistors (e.g R3 and R4) = R3+R4

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1: 6, 12 and 4 ohm resistors are in parallel, which results to 2 ohms.
Step 2: the 2 ohm resistor and the 3 ohm resistor are in series, which results to 4 ohm.
Step 3: Now we have the following circuit.
equivalent circuit.jpg
[/B]
This was slightly confusing. Since there is a short circuit parallel to the 10 ohm resistors, current will flow from point a through the 4 ohm resistor then through the 3 ohm resistor. The current will bypass the 10 ohm resistor and hence it will be ignored in the equivalent resistance calculation. 4 ohm in series with 3 ohm resistor = 7 ohms.

I know the answer is correct (7 ohm) but I would like to confirm my concept regarding the short circuit wire is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your Step 2 has a slight error in its justification.
Yes, the 10 ohm resistor can be ignored... since it is shorted... that is to say, the voltage drop across that 10 ohm resistor is zero.

[edit:
You can also say that the 10 ohm is in parallel with the 0 ohm...
so R_eq for that parallel combination is (10)(0)/(10+0)=0 ohms.]

Likes sugz
robphy said:
I think your Step 2 has a slight error in its justification.
Yes, the 10 ohm resistor can be ignored... since it is shorted... that is to say, the voltage drop across that 10 ohm resistor is zero.
The 6, 12 and 4 ohm resistors are in parallel resulting in 2 ohms. As a result, this is in series with the 2 ohm resistors. I can't seem to find where the error is?

You wrote
sugz said:
Step 2: the 2 ohm resistor and the 3 ohm resistor are in series, which results to 4 ohm.

It's a 2-ohm in series with the equivalent-2-ohm, yielding 4-ohms.

robphy said:
You wroteIt's a 2-ohm in series with the equivalent-2-ohm, yielding 4-ohms.
Sorry about that. I must have made a mistake with that. Thanks for pointing that out!

Related to Find the equivalent resistance (Req) of the simple circuit.

1. What is equivalent resistance (Req)?

Equivalent resistance (Req) is the total resistance in a circuit that can be replaced by a single resistor and have the same effect on the circuit as the original resistors.

2. How is equivalent resistance (Req) calculated?

Equivalent resistance (Req) is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the equivalent resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current in the circuit. It can also be calculated by adding the individual resistances in a series circuit or by using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3... for resistors in parallel.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the resistors are connected end to end, and the current has only one path to take. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected side by side, and the current has multiple paths to take. This affects how equivalent resistance is calculated in each type of circuit.

4. Why is it important to find the equivalent resistance (Req) in a circuit?

Finding the equivalent resistance (Req) allows us to simplify a complex circuit into a single resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit. It also helps us determine the amount of current and voltage in the circuit.

5. How does the equivalent resistance (Req) affect the overall resistance in a circuit?

The equivalent resistance (Req) is always equal to or greater than the highest individual resistance in a series circuit, and always less than the smallest individual resistance in a parallel circuit. This means that in a series circuit, Req increases the overall resistance, while in a parallel circuit, Req decreases the overall resistance.