Find the equivalent resistance of this circuit w/o Data?

In summary: R1 is between nodes A and C.R3 is between nodes C and D.R5 is between nodes B and D.And @berkeman is asking you to find the combined resistance or R2, R4, and R6.R1 is between nodes A and C.R3 is between nodes C and D.R5 is between nodes B and D.And @berkeman is asking you to find the combined resistance or R2, R4, and R6.If you combine the right-hand 3 resistors into one, the value of those 3 series "R" resistors would be 6. So, the combined resistance in parallel with anything
nicholasrivera

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent resistance of this circuit between points a and b
https://imgur.com/a/LWcIC
upload_2018-2-22_13-56-22.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to complete this problem without any variables. I tried replacing the numbers with the variables which is what I think your supposed to do but It still isint making sense.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-22_13-56-22.png
    upload_2018-2-22_13-56-22.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 757
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nicholasrivera said:

Homework Statement

Find the equivalent resistance of this circuit between points a and b

Homework Equations

http://tinypic.com/r/33mn1gl/9

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to complete this problem without any variables. I tried replacing the numbers with the variables which is what I think your supposed to do but It still isint making sense.
I'm not sure what you mean about "without any data". Can you just solve the question using series & parallel combinations of resistors? Since they are all equal to "R" in value, that makes it pretty easy...

berkeman said:
I'm not sure what you mean about "without any data". Can you just solve the question using series & parallel combinations of resistors? Since they are all equal to "R" in value, that makes it pretty easy...
But I am not sure what I am supposed to get as an answer will it just be in terms of R?

Likes CWatters
nicholasrivera said:

Homework Equations

http://tinypic.com/r/33mn1gl/9
When I go to that link, I don't get anything related to electronics. Mostly just ads.

The answer you are looking for will be in terms of the resistance R. In other words it will be something like 7*R or 19*R/5, or something like that. Try using series/parallel combinations to reduce the resistance between a and b to a single resistor.

Likes berkeman
nicholasrivera said:
will it just be in terms of R?
Yes. If there were just 2 resistors in series, the answer would be "2R". If there were just 2 resistors in parallel, the answer would be "R/2". Right?

.Scott said:
When I go to that link, I don't get anything related to electronics. Mostly just ads.
I get a small schematic mixed in with the ads for a few seconds, and then a sea of ads washing out the schematic... Annoying...

.Scott said:
sorry used a terrible image hosting site I fixed the link https://imgur.com/a/LWcIC

nicholasrivera said:
sorry used a terrible image hosting site I fixed the link https://imgur.com/a/LWcIC
Thanks. Now can you show us your work step-by-step to do the series & parallel combinations we are suggesting? :smile:

berkeman said:
Thanks. Now can you show us your work step-by-step to do the series & parallel combinations we are suggesting? :smile:
https://i.imgur.com/ubVARZs.jpg there's my answer I got 6R but I am not sure if I combined the resistors correctly.​

nicholasrivera said:
I got 6R
That can't be right, since if the middle parallel resistor were not there, the other resistors would add up to 5R.

The sideways image is a bit hard to read. Can you just type your work into the forum window please?

Sorry I Labeled it as following R1 and R2 are the top in series R3 R4 are the two middle ones in parallel and R5 and R6 are the bottom two in series. I did R12= 2R
R34= (1/R+1/R)-1
R56=(1/R+1/R)-1
R123456= (1/4R + 1/2R)-1

nicholasrivera said:
Sorry I Labeled it as following R1 and R2 are the top in series R3 R4 are the two middle ones in parallel and R5 and R6 are the bottom two in series. I did R12= 2R
R34= (1/R+1/R)-1
R56=(1/R+1/R)-1
R123456= (1/4R + 1/2R)-1
No, that doesn't look right, and I honestly am not following what you are doing.

Start by combining the right-hand 3 resistors into one. What is the value of those 3 series "R" resistors? And now, is that combined resistance in parallel with anything?

nicholasrivera said:
I Labeled it as following R1 and R2 are the top in series R3 R4 are the two middle ones in parallel and R5 and R6 are the bottom two in series.
Okay. So...
R1 is between nodes A and C.
R3 is between nodes C and D.
R5 is between nodes B and D.
And @berkeman is asking you to find the combined resistance or R2, R4, and R6.

You are taking a bad turn in you approach. The first thing you should do is to collapse the loop on the right to a single resistance between C and D. After that, you will have a simple problem of 3 resistances in series. Branching nodes are always a problem and you should first work on small parts toward an equivalent problem that replaces the branches with a simpler diagram.

Related to Find the equivalent resistance of this circuit w/o Data?

1. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit without data?

To calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit without data, you will need to use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. Ohm's Law states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). Kirchhoff's Laws state that the sum of all currents entering a node is equal to the sum of all currents leaving a node, and the sum of all voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero. By applying these laws to the circuit, you can solve for the unknown resistance.

2. What is the purpose of finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

Finding the equivalent resistance of a circuit is important because it allows us to simplify a complex circuit into a single, equivalent resistor. This makes it easier to understand and analyze the behavior of the circuit, and can also help in selecting the appropriate components for the circuit.

3. Can the equivalent resistance of a circuit be higher or lower than the individual resistances?

The equivalent resistance of a circuit can be either higher or lower than the individual resistances, depending on the configuration of the circuit. In series circuits, the equivalent resistance is always higher than the individual resistances, while in parallel circuits, the equivalent resistance is always lower than the individual resistances.

4. Are there any shortcuts or formulas for finding the equivalent resistance?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and formulas that can be used to find the equivalent resistance in certain types of circuits. For example, in a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the inverse of the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of the inverse of each individual resistance. However, these shortcuts may not be applicable in more complex circuits.

5. What are the units of equivalent resistance?

The units of equivalent resistance are the same as those for individual resistance, which is ohms (Ω). This is because the equivalent resistance is simply a representation of the total resistance in the circuit.