Find the equation of the tangent

• Thread starter Physicsissuef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary, the problem involves finding the equation of the tangent to the circular equation x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0, perpendicular to the line x-2y+9=0. The equation of the tangent can be found by using the equation of the given line and the condition for tangent and circular equations. However, simpler methods such as finding the slopes and using implicit differentiation can also be used to solve the problem.
Physicsissuef

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the tangent of the circular [itex]K:x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex], perpendicular to the line x-2y+9=0.

Homework Equations

[itex](x_1-p)(x-p)+(y_1-q)(y-q)=r^2[/itex], equation of K.

[itex](kp-q+n)^2=r^2(k^2+1)[/itex], condition for tangent and circular K

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried like this. From the equation [itex]K:x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex],
p=1 and q=-2 ,[itex]r^2=5[/itex]
also from x-2y+9=0, the coefficient k of the equation of the tangent should be k=-2.
So I have y=-2x+n, and -2x-y+n=0

[itex](-2*1+2+n)^2=5(4+1)[/itex]
from here I get [itex]n_1=-5[/itex], and [itex]n_2=5[/itex], so the equation should be:

y=-2x-5

y=-2x+5

But the problem is that it is not same with my textbook results. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve the equation of the tangent in terms of k with the equation of the given line to obtain a third point .

Physicsissuef said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the tangent of the circular [itex]K:x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex], perpendicular to the line x-2y+9=0.

Homework Equations

[itex](x_1-p)(x-p)+(y_1-q)(y-q)=r^2[/itex], equation of K.
Is [itex]x_1[/itex] different from x?

[itex](kp-q+n)^2=r^2(k^2+1)[/itex], condition for tangent and circular K

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried like this. From the equation [itex]K:x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex],
p=1 and q=-2 ,[itex]r^2=5[/itex]
also from x-2y+9=0, the coefficient k of the equation of the tangent should be k=-2.
So I have y=-2x+n, and -2x-y+n=0

[itex](-2*1+2+n)^2=5(4+1)[/itex]
from here I get [itex]n_1=-5[/itex], and [itex]n_2=5[/itex], so the equation should be:

y=-2x-5

y=-2x+5

But the problem is that it is not same with my textbook results. Any help?
Wouldn't it be simpler just to use basic concepts rather than such complicated formulas?

The line x- 2y+ 9= 0 can be written 2y= x+ 9 or y= (1/2)x+ 9/2 so its slope is 1/2. Any line perpendicular to that must have slope -2. For the given circle, [itex]x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex], implicit differentiation gives 2x+ 2yy'- 2+ 4y'= 0 or (2y+ 4)y'= 2- 2x so y'= (2- 2x)/(2y+ 4)= (1- x)/(y+ 2). For what values of x and y is that equal to 2?

You have two equations: (1-x)/(y+2)= 2 and [itex]x^2 + y^2 - 2x + 4y=0[/itex] to solve. Solve the first for either x or y, put that into the second equation and solve the resulting quadratic.

x=3
y=-3

x=1
y=-1

What to do now? x and y are different from x_1 and y_1

Related to Find the equation of the tangent

1. What is the equation of the tangent line?

The equation of the tangent line is a linear equation that describes the slope of a curve at a specific point. It is given by the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the equation of the tangent line?

To find the equation of the tangent line, you need to have the coordinates of a point on the curve and the slope of the curve at that point. You can then use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the point-slope form of a line?

The point-slope form of a line is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) are the coordinates of a point on the line and m is the slope of the line.

4. Can the equation of the tangent line change at different points on a curve?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can change at different points on a curve because the slope of the curve can vary at different points. This means that the m value in the equation y = mx + b will be different for each point on the curve.

5. What is the significance of the tangent line in calculus?

In calculus, the tangent line is used to find the instantaneous rate of change or the derivative of a function at a specific point. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a curve at a particular point and can be used to approximate the value of a function at that point.