Find the equation of ellipse given vertices and focus Check

In summary, the conversation was about finding the equation of an ellipse given its vertices and focus. The method used involved finding the center of the ellipse and the distance between the center and vertex to get a. The length of the minor axis, b, was found using the formula b^2 = a^2 - c^2, where c is half the distance between the focii. The equation was then verified by considering the definition of an ellipse and constructing triangles within the shape.
aisha
Find the equation of ellipse given vertices and focus Check please

Hi the question is find the equation of the following ellipse, given vertices at (8,3) and (-4,3) and one focus at (6,3)

Well I drew a digram with the 3 points

First I found the midpoint of the given vertices to get the center of the ellipse I got (h,k) to be (2,3) then I found the distance between the center and the vertex a=6

the only thing I wasnt sure about was how to find b, but this is what I did I found the distance between the two vertices and got 12, I think this is also the legnth of the major axis therefore 2b=12 so b=6

My final equation for the ellipse is

[tex] \frac {(x-2)^2} {36} + \frac {(y-3)^2} {36} =1 [/tex] Help me out is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation that u've written describes a circle and not an ellipse...

Do'em all again...:wink:

Daniel.

think about your method of finding [itex]b[/itex] and see if you can figure out something wrong with it (hint: using your method, could you ever have [itex] b \neq a[/itex]? Does [itex]b[/itex] really represent the length of the major axis?)

Once you've thought about that, see if you can deduce where the other focus is (remember, ellipses have two of them!)

I can probably find where the other focus but how will this help me? How do I find b? Is the rest of the equation correct?

Oh b does not represent the length of the major axis um it represent the length of the minor axis? 2b?

I DONT HAVE A CLUE on HOW TO FIND B! HELPPPPPPP :blushing:

Last edited:
The rest is fine. [itex]b[/itex] is the length of the semi-minor axis, so it's given by [itex]b^2 = a^2 - c^2[/itex] where [itex]c[/itex] is half the distance between the focii.

Do you see why [itex]b[/itex] has this value?

Last edited:
Data said:
The rest is fine. [itex]b[/itex] is the length of the semi-major axis, so it's given by [itex]b^2 = a^2 - c^2[/itex] where [itex]c[/itex] is half the distance between the focii.

Do you see why [itex]b[/itex] has this value?

See my diagram doesn't have semi-major axis on it that's why I don't know how to find b, um I got the distance between the foci to be 8 half of this is 4 when I plugged a and -c I got
[tex] b^2=6^2 =4^2 [/tex] b = sqrt (20) ? I don't really see why b has this value if this is correct...

Sorry, as has been corrected now I meant semi-minor (here [itex]a[/itex] is actually the semi-major axis, silly terminology). Your answer for [itex]b[/itex] is correct nonetheless.

Do you remember what at ellipse is?

Given two points [itex]P_0 = (x_0, y_0)[/itex] and [itex]P_1 = (x_1, y_1)[/itex], an ellipse with semi-major axis [itex]a[/itex] and focii [itex]P_0[/itex] and [itex] P_1[/itex] is the set of points [itex]P = (x,y)[/itex] such that the sum of the distances from [itex]P[/itex] to [itex]P_0[/itex] and from [itex]P[/itex] to [itex]P_1[/itex] is [itex]2a[/itex].

Can you sketch this shape? Once you do this, find [itex]c[/itex] using the method I described above, and try to see if you can figure out why [itex]b[/itex] is what it is, by constructing triangles with base [itex]c[/itex] and hypotenuse [itex]a[/itex] within the shape.

Ok yes I see the triangle so finally the final equation is

[tex] \frac {(x-2)^2} {36} + \frac {(y-3)^2} {20} =1 [/tex]

Indeed :smile:

Related to Find the equation of ellipse given vertices and focus Check

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane, the sum of whose distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is constant.

2. How do you find the equation of an ellipse given the vertices and focus?

To find the equation of an ellipse, you will need to use the distance formula and Pythagorean theorem. The equation for an ellipse with its center at the origin is (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes. To find a and b, you can use the distance formula to find the distance between the foci and the vertices, and then use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for a and b.

3. What information do I need to find the equation of an ellipse?

To find the equation of an ellipse, you will need the coordinates of the foci and the vertices. If the ellipse is centered at the origin, you will also need the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes.

4. Can the equation of an ellipse be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of an ellipse can be written in different forms depending on the orientation and position of the ellipse. The most common forms are the standard form, the general form, and the center-radius form.

5. Can the equation of an ellipse be graphed?

Yes, the equation of an ellipse can be graphed using its equation and the coordinates of the foci and vertices. The foci will be the two points inside the ellipse, and the vertices will be the points on the edge of the ellipse. The graph will also show the orientation and size of the ellipse.