Find the elongation of a spring of mass

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the elongation of a spring with mass "m", natural length "l", and force constant "k" when it is hung from a ceiling. The proposed solution involves considering a small element of thickness "dy" and length from the ceiling "y" and calculating the net force on it. The accuracy of this solution is uncertain.
peeyush_ali

Homework Statement

Find the elongation of a spring of mass "m" natural length "l" force constant "k" when it is hung to a ceiling ?

Homework Equations

cant able to write a relevant equation..

The Attempt at a Solution

i have considered a small element of thickness "dy" and length from the ceiling "y",and then net force on it is (weight of the remaining spring down + weight of the small element) ...
and i am not sure wether I am correct...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi peeyush_ali! :wink:
peeyush_ali said:
i have considered a small element of thickness "dy" and length from the ceiling "y",and then net force on it is (weight of the remaining spring down + weight of the small element) ...
and i am not sure wether I am correct...

Yes, that looks fine! …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Find the elongation of a spring of mass

What is the formula for finding the elongation of a spring of mass?

The formula for finding the elongation of a spring of mass is F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the elongation of the spring.

What is the spring constant and how is it related to the elongation of a spring?

The spring constant, denoted by k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is directly proportional to the elongation of a spring, meaning that the higher the spring constant, the greater the elongation of the spring for a given force applied.

Can the mass of an object affect the elongation of a spring?

Yes, the mass of an object can affect the elongation of a spring. According to Hooke's Law, the elongation of a spring is directly proportional to the force applied to it. Therefore, a heavier mass will cause a greater force on the spring, resulting in a larger elongation.

What are the units of measurement for the spring constant?

The units of measurement for the spring constant depend on the units used for force and elongation. If force is measured in newtons (N) and elongation in meters (m), then the unit for the spring constant is newtons per meter (N/m).

Is there a limit to the elongation of a spring of mass?

Yes, there is a limit to the elongation of a spring of mass. This is known as the elastic limit, beyond which the spring will permanently deform or break. The elastic limit varies depending on the type and quality of the spring.