What is the structure of Ch2Cl2 and which atom would be central?

• Thread starter gotzmlk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary, to distinguish between shared pairs and unshared pairs of electrons, you can draw out the structures of molecules like ammonia and Ch2Cl2 and identify the shared electrons as those in bonds and unshared electrons as lone pairs. Remember to follow the octet rule and consider any charges. However, drawing structures may be difficult on a computer and a solution is needed. Also, it is unclear what Ch2 refers to.
gotzmlk
Using the ammonia molecule as an example, distinguish between shared pairs and unshared pairs of electrons.

and

Ch2Cl2

drawing lewis dot. which one would be central.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just draw out the structures and see which ones look best. Shared electrons will be those in bonds and unshared will be lone pairs. Make sure you remember the octet rule and watch those charges.

This is a limitation of the computer. Makes it hard to draw things out. One of the genouses on this site need to figure something out.

One other thing, what is Ch2 - did you mean CH2?
Nautica

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "Not sure what this means" mean?

"Not sure what this means" is a phrase that indicates confusion or uncertainty about the meaning of something.

2. How can I determine the meaning of something if I'm not sure what it means?

One way to determine the meaning of something is to ask for clarification from someone who may have more knowledge or expertise on the subject. You can also try researching the topic or seeking out additional resources.

3. Is "Not sure what this means" a common phrase in scientific research?

No, "Not sure what this means" is not a commonly used phrase in scientific research. Scientists typically use precise and specific language to communicate their findings and ideas.

4. Can "Not sure what this means" indicate a lack of understanding?

Yes, "Not sure what this means" can indicate a lack of understanding. It is important for scientists to carefully analyze and interpret data in order to accurately understand and communicate their findings.

5. How can I avoid using "Not sure what this means" in my scientific writing?

To avoid using "Not sure what this means" in scientific writing, it is important to thoroughly understand and research the topic being discussed. It is also helpful to use precise and specific language to clearly convey your ideas and findings.