Find the electrical field of a Spherical Shell

If it is nano, then the answer will be 7.192*10^-3N/C or 7.192mN/C.In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at two different distances from a thin spherical shell with a uniform charge distribution of 32.0 %C. The electric field equation used is E = (1/4πεo)*Q/r^2, where Q is the total charge and r is the distance from the center of the charge distribution. It is important to note that inside the shell, the electric field is 0, and outside the shell it can be calculated using the given values. The final answer will depend on the unit of the charge given, either micro or nano.
RedPhoenix

Homework Statement

Consider a thin spherical shell of radius 14.0 cm with a
total charge of 32.0 %C distributed uniformly on its
surface. Find the electric field (a) 10.0 cm and (b) 20.0 cm
from the center of the charge distribution.

Homework Equations

img34.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Stumped...

I figured that the E(r) was the electrical field of the sphere.

I did 9.9E9(32E-9/14^2) (also did it in meters too)

I guess I am just completely lost in this one.

Attachments

• img34.gif
    img34.gif
    705 bytes · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
Electric field due to a charged sphere at a distance r is given by
E = (1/4πεo)*Q/r^2
In side the charged sphere, the electric field is ...?

I got it.

10cm < 14cm, so its inside, meaning = 0

20cm > 14cm, so ke(q/r^2) = 8.99E9(32E-9/.2^2) = 7192, so now I just have to look over where I messed up on the order of magnitude

7.192 MN/C from the center... is the answer!

In the problem, the charge is given as 32%C. What is that? micro or nano?
If it is micro, the answer will be correct. You will get 7.192*10^6N/C or 7.192MN/C.

Related to Find the electrical field of a Spherical Shell

1. What is the definition of electrical field?

The electrical field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric charges on other charges or on the surrounding space. It is a vector quantity that is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

2. How is the electrical field of a spherical shell calculated?

The electrical field of a spherical shell can be calculated using the equation E = Q/(4πεr²), where E is the electrical field, Q is the total charge of the shell, ε is the permittivity of the surrounding medium, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

3. What is the direction of the electrical field for a spherical shell?

The direction of the electrical field for a spherical shell is radially outward from the center of the shell. This means that the field lines will point away from the center of the shell in all directions.

4. What is the relationship between the electrical field and distance from the center of the shell?

The electrical field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the shell. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the strength of the electrical field decreases.

5. How does the electrical field of a spherical shell compare to other shapes?

The electrical field of a spherical shell is unique because it is constant throughout the shell, regardless of the distance from the center. This is in contrast to other shapes, such as a point charge or a charged rod, where the electrical field varies with distance.