Find the distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur

In summary, Tide tried to find the distance the ball traveled before slipping ceases to occur. She tried using the energy equation and determining the speed in terms of distance traveled. However, she wasn't sure how to do it. She then asked someone for help. Koa provided the answer. Tide then tried to find the torque due to the friction. However, she wasn't sure if it was right. She then tried subtituting Equ 3 into Equ 1. She got the answer that the ball travels 5/7 of the way before slipping ceases to occur.
koa
A billiard ball of radius "a" is initially spinning about a horizontal axis with angular speed "w" and with zero forward speed. If the coefficient of sliding friction between the ball and the biliard table is "m",
(A)find the distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur.
(B) the work lost to friction

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly you tried so far?

HINT: Slipping will cease when the speed of the ball is the same as the angular velocity (about the contact point) times its radius.

i don`t know how to actually start
i think
first i have to get the energy equation
which is K1+u1+others(the energy due to the friction)= k2+u2
we know that u1=u2=0
k1= 1/2 Iwo^2
k2= 1/2 Iw^2 +1/2 mv2
others= Fr. d(the distance the ball moved)

second i think we can get the torque due to the friction
t=I.alpha=Fr.a(the radius of the ball)

that how i think
i don`t know if it`s right or wrong

i

i think you are in the right way, good luck

The horizontal motion will be

[tex]v = v_0 - \mu g t[/tex]

and the rotation rate will be

[tex]\omega = \omega_0 - \frac {5}{2} \frac {\mu g}{r} t[/tex]

Can you see why? Also, slipping ceases when [itex]\omega r = v[/itex] and you should be able to take it from there.

Tide, do you think if i use the energy equation, i will get the distance?
U1+K1+w=k2=U2 ENERGY

It's not obvious to me how you would do that but I suppose if you're really careful about it and are able to determine speed in terms of distance traveled then you might be able to do it.

hey tide ,
first of all i`d like to thank u for all ur help

Tide said:
The horizontal motion will be

[tex]v = v_0 - \mu g t[/tex]
how u got the acceleration?
and the rotation rate will be

[tex]\omega = \omega_0 - \frac {5}{2} \frac {\mu g}{r} t[/tex]

Can you see why? Also, slipping ceases when [itex]\omega r = v[/itex] and you should be able to take it from there.

I can`t really see why :rolleyes:

Koa,

The only horizontal force on the ball is the force of friction which is proportional to the normal force between the ball and the table. Therefore, the frictional force is just the weight of the ball times the coefficient of friction.

check this

N=MG
Fr=uN=uMG
TORQUE=Fr.a(the radius)=I(ALPHA)
BUT IN THE PROBLEM THEY DIDN`T GIVE US THE COIFICCIENT BETWEEN THE BALL AND THE TABLE??

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 389
That would be the "m" that you specified in your original post. I called it [itex]\mu[/itex].

i think i got it

i think i got it
thanx
i`ll post the solution after i finish it completely
thank u

cauld somebody please check my answer

hi,
cauld somebody please check my answer i`m not sure if it`s right or wrong.

Energy Equation: K1+U1+Wo=K2+U2,U1=U2=0
1/2IWo^2-FfD=1/2IWf^2+1/2MVf^2 , M=MASS, m= THE FRICTION COIFFICIENT

I= 5/2MA^2 , V=AW, Ff=mGM , ACCELARATION= A*ALPHA

D= THE DISTANCE THE BALL MOVED, Vf= FINAL VELOCITY, Wf= Vf/A

ACC(ACCELARATION)=A.ALPHA

SO 1/2(5/2) 5/2MA^2Wo^2- mGD= 1/2(5/2)MA^2 Wf^2+1/2MVf^2

5/2A^2Wo^2-2MGD=5/2Vf^2+Vf^2=7/2Vf^2

Vf^2=5/7A^2Wo^2-4/7MGD.....EQU (1)

TORQUE=Ff.A=I.ALPHA=5/2MA^2(ACC/A)

Ff=5/2M.ACC=mMG

ACC=2/5mG......EQU2

Vf^2=Vo^2+2 ACC (X-Xo)= 2(2/5mG)D=4/5mGD...EQU 3

BY SUBTITUTING EQU 3 IN EQU 1

WE HAVE

4/5 mGD= 5/7 A^2Wo^2- 4/7 mGD

4/5mGD+4/7mGD=5/7A^2 Wo^2

48/35mGD=5/7 A^2Wo^2

D=(25A^2Wo^2)/(48mG)... THE ANSWER

IS IT THE ANSWER?

Related to Find the distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur

1. How is the distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur calculated?

The distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur can be calculated using the equation d = μR, where d is the distance, μ is the coefficient of friction, and R is the radius of the ball.

2. What factors affect the distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur?

The distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur can be affected by various factors, such as the coefficient of friction between the ball and the surface it is rolling on, the weight and size of the ball, and the type of surface the ball is rolling on.

3. Is there a maximum distance the ball can travel before slipping ceases to occur?

Yes, there is a maximum distance the ball can travel before slipping ceases to occur. This distance is determined by the coefficient of friction between the ball and the surface it is rolling on. Once the coefficient of friction is exceeded, the ball will start to slip.

4. How does the angle of the surface affect the distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur?

The angle of the surface can affect the distance the ball travels before slipping ceases to occur. A steeper angle will result in a shorter distance, as the force of gravity will be pulling the ball down the slope at a faster rate, causing it to slip sooner.

5. Does the speed of the ball affect the distance it travels before slipping ceases to occur?

Yes, the speed of the ball can affect the distance it travels before slipping ceases to occur. A slower moving ball will have a longer distance before slipping occurs, as there is less force pushing it towards slipping. However, if the speed is too slow, the ball may not have enough momentum to overcome the force of friction and slip at all.