Red Cross Removed From College After Gays Report Uncomfortability

In summary, the conversation discusses the controversy surrounding the Red Cross being asked not to come to a college because it makes gay students feel uncomfortable. Some individuals believe this is going too far in the pursuit of equality, while others argue that the Red Cross has a policy of not allowing gay individuals to donate blood due to the potential risk of spreading HIV. The conversation also touches on other groups that are banned from donating blood, such as those who have spent time in Britain and individuals who have engaged in certain activities. Ultimately, the conversation raises questions about the balance between discrimination and safety concerns when it comes to blood donations.
kyle_soule
What do you all think of the Red Cross being asked not to come to a college because gays feeling uncomfortable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do Gays feel uncomfortable around the red cross?

Oh right, yeah, let's call it something different for gays

I'm all for equality, and have no problems with gay rights but this one is again going too far. Just as I, as a straight guy am happy to live in a society with, and accommodate gays, (goes for other religions and races too), they have to realize that they can't live on a planet designed solely and perfectly for them.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Andy
Why do Gays feel uncomfortable around the red cross?

It appears that they are upset that they are being discriminated against, I believe the Red Cross asks for gay's not to participate in the blood drives. The homosexual individuals went to the college board and quested the Red Cross not be allowed to run the blood drive their because they felt uncomfortable, and the board went along with it...pretty crazy I think. I don't understand why they are uncomfortable though.

Originally posted by kyle_soule
I believe the Red Cross asks for gay's not to participate in the blood drives.

That is vile! Do you have a source?

*double post*

Last edited:
Originally posted by enigma
That is vile! Do you have a source?

MSNBC reported on it, got the State Rep. of the state on their show and he said it was wrong to do, so it was a legit source. I'm looking for link now.

So for fear of spreading AIDS the red cross asked Gays not to participate, i think that's understandable I'm sure a lot of people who want blood would not like to have the blood of a gay person being used on them.

Actually that policy is required by an FDA regulation that has been in effect since 1985.

By the way, people who spent more than 6 months in Britain are also banned from donating blood.

Gotta make sure our blood supply isn't tainted by too much tea.

Scarborough Countries transcript will be coming out soon, it was on Joe's May 22nd show.

Harvard's solution...
http://www.academia.org/campus_reports/2001/nov_2001_4.html [Broken]

apparently they have no respect for rules or safety or the FDA or Red Cross. Isn't this a high level college?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh.

Gay != AIDS carrier

Originally posted by gnome
By the way, people who spent more than 6 months in Britain are also banned from donating blood.
[?] [?] [?]

Something against us?

i think that is absolutely ridiculous and ignorant that gay's have been asked not to participate in giving blood...

#1 - the Red Cross is pleading for blood as they claim they are in short supply

#2 - ANYONE, including heterosexual females are at risk of carrying HIV as anyone now

#3 - if I understand it correctly, the Red Cross already screens all blood despite who it comes from...

Originally posted by Kerrie
i think that is absolutely ridiculous and ignorant that gay's have been asked not to participate in giving blood...

#1 - the Red Cross is pleading for blood as they claim they are in short supply

#2 - ANYONE, including heterosexual females are at risk of carrying HIV as anyone now

#3 - if I understand it correctly, the Red Cross already screens all blood despite who it comes from...

Well, first off it isn't the Red Cross policies, it's the Food and Drug Administrations rules. Secondly, if gay's are actively engaging in homosexual sex they are in fact at a much higher risk of carrying HIV, instead of asking if you have had sex with another man, they just exclude gay's altogether.

The Red Cross doesn't screen the blood, but they is the second screen, they set up the first to rule out any obvious problems and lighten the load of good blood to be screened. It is just being extra careful, I wouldn't want gay blood, it might be contageous:smile: hehe

They actually ask "if you are male, have you had sex with another man since 197x?" along with a zillion other questions, like if you've ever snorted coke. (?) The Britain thing is because of Mad Cow. :) It's a bit excessive really; if you are reasonably sure you don't have AIDS but would get excluded because of one of these blanket rules, I see no problem with lying... like Kerrie said there is a chronic blood shortage.

Originally posted by damgo
[BThey actually ask "if you are male, have you had sex with another man since 197x?" along with a zillion other questions, like if you've ever snorted coke. (?) The Britain thing is because of Mad Cow. :) It's a bit excessive really; if you are reasonably sure you don't have AIDS but would get excluded because of one of these blanket rules, I see no problem with lying... like Kerrie said there is a chronic blood shortage.[/B]

They like to keep 7 days worth in stock, they have 4.5 days now.

Isn't it funny they put a date on? Does AIDS wear off in so many years, or did you just not get it before 197X?:smile:

Last edited:
It didn't exist before 197X

I'm a regular blood doner myself, and the questionaire has always asked those questions about HIV. It is no more descriminatory than the questions about mad cow disease. I took a mission trip to west Africa, and was unable to donate for 1yr afterward because the trip placed me at a high risk for malaria. I did not protest that I was being descriminated against.

Perhaps I should have picketed the Red Cross in my area for penalising me for my religious practices!

If you are in a high-risk group for carrying a blood-transmitted disease, you will be discriminated against by the Red Cross. And you should be. Political correctness and hurt feelings are not as important as human lives.

there are plenty of homosexuals that have non HIV positive blood, it's not like once you become gay you automatically get it...quite honestly, this attitude towards gays turns me off from ever giving blood, and that doesn't help the "shortage" one bit...if proper tests are done to screen for any diseases, then there should be no worries whatsoever...

Originally posted by Kerrie
there are plenty of homosexuals that have non HIV positive blood, it's not like once you become gay you automatically get it...quite honestly, this attitude towards gays turns me off from ever giving blood, and that doesn't help the "shortage" one bit...if proper tests are done to screen for any diseases, then there should be no worries whatsoever...

It's just being extra safe, diseases can get through the screening, so why not have a preliminary screening to root out any uneeded risks? Notice I say RISKS.

Also, Damgo said that they ask if you have had sex with a man, not necessarily "ARE YOU GAY?".

I suppose if you want to give blood, or if you ever gave blood, is your own decision, but I don't see the point in not giving blood because the FDA has told the Red Cross what to put on their screening surveys.

1. What happened with the Red Cross being removed from the college?

The Red Cross was removed from the college after reports of discomfort from members of the LGBTQ+ community. The college decided to end their partnership with the organization due to concerns over their policies and practices regarding LGBTQ+ individuals.

2. Why did the LGBTQ+ community report feeling uncomfortable?

The LGBTQ+ community reported feeling uncomfortable due to the Red Cross's policies and practices regarding blood donations from individuals who identify as gay, bisexual, or transgender. These policies were seen as discriminatory and exclusionary towards the LGBTQ+ community.

3. What is the Red Cross's policy on blood donations from LGBTQ+ individuals?

The Red Cross has a policy that prohibits individuals who have engaged in sexual activity with someone of the same gender in the past 12 months from donating blood. This policy has been criticized by the LGBTQ+ community as discriminatory and not based on scientific evidence.

4. How did the college respond to the reports of discomfort from the LGBTQ+ community?

The college responded by ending their partnership with the Red Cross. They stated that they value diversity and inclusivity on their campus and could not continue to partner with an organization whose policies and practices were not aligned with these values.

5. What impact does the removal of the Red Cross have on the college and the LGBTQ+ community?

The removal of the Red Cross has both positive and negative impacts. On one hand, it sends a message that the college is committed to supporting and protecting their LGBTQ+ community. On the other hand, it may also limit access to blood donations for those in need, as the Red Cross is a major blood donation organization. It also highlights the ongoing struggle for equality and inclusivity for the LGBTQ+ community.