Integrating 1 over root x times root x plus 1 - A Guide

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the integral of 1 over the quantity root x times quantity root x plus 1. The person asking for help had tried using partial fractions and a trig substitution but was still stuck. Another person suggested using the substitution x = u^2, which eventually led to the correct answer. The conversation ended with gratitude for the helpful suggestion.
Khan
Hey everyone, I just need a little help with this integral, I just can't get it:

integral of: (1/((x^(1/2)(x^(1/2)+1)) I know this is hard to read typed out, but said it is "Integral of 1 over the quantity root x times quantity root x plus 1. I tried doing partial fractions, but then I get stuck again.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try the substitution x = u2 to get rid of the roots?

I think I tried that, but that led me to a trig substition with arc tan and it's not leading my to the right answer, which I think is only with natural log.

Show me what you got; none of the terms involved should be quadratic, thus no arctan function.

Oh yea! The x=u^2 substitution did the trick actually, thanks for your help!

1. What is the purpose of integrating 1 over root x times root x plus 1?

The purpose of integrating 1 over root x times root x plus 1 is to find the area under the curve of the function y = 1/√(x(x+1)) between two given points on the x-axis.

2. How do I solve an integral involving 1 over root x times root x plus 1?

To solve an integral involving 1 over root x times root x plus 1, you can use the substitution method by substituting u = √(x(x+1)) and then using integration by parts.

3. What are the steps to integrating 1 over root x times root x plus 1?

The steps to integrating 1 over root x times root x plus 1 are as follows:
1. Substitute u = √(x(x+1))
2. Use integration by parts
3. Simplify the resulting integral
4. Evaluate the integral using integration rules or a calculator.

4. Is there a shortcut to integrating 1 over root x times root x plus 1?

There is no specific shortcut for integrating 1 over root x times root x plus 1, but you can use the substitution method and integration by parts to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

5. How can I check if my answer to the integral involving 1 over root x times root x plus 1 is correct?

You can check if your answer is correct by taking the derivative of your integral and comparing it to the original function. They should be equal if your integral was solved correctly.