Find the Current using Force/Length Between Two Wires

In summary, the problem involves two parallel wires with a distance of separation of 0.006m. The current in one wire is twice the current in the other wire. The force on a 3m length of one wire is given as 8μN. Using the equation F/L = (μ0)(Ia)(Ib) / 2∏d , with μ0 = 4∏x10^-7 and d = 0.006m, the value for the greater current is found to be 0.40A. However, in the given solution, the value for d was incorrectly used as 0.06m, leading to a different answer. The correct answer is obtained by solving
sozo

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires are separated by .006 m. The current in one of the wires is twice the other current. If the magnitude of the force on a 3m length of one of the wires is equal to 8μN, what is the greater of the two currents?

The answer: .40 A

Homework Equations

F/L = (μ0)(Ia)(Ib) / 2∏d
μ0 = 4∏x10^-7
d = distance between the wires
Ia/b = values for the two currents

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged everything in like so: (8x10^-6)/3 = (4∏x10^-7)(I)(2I)/2∏(.06)
From that, I divided the left side and the right, leaving me with:
2.67x10^-6 = 3.33x10^-6(2I^2)
Then I just solved for I by getting I by itself (.801/2 = I^2) and and taking the square root of (.801/2) to find I. At this point, I've found that I = .63A , but I don't know where to go from here. The answer should come out to be .40A.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem says d = 0.006m but you used d = 0.06m

Related to Find the Current using Force/Length Between Two Wires

1. How do I calculate the current between two wires using the force/length method?

To calculate the current between two wires using the force/length method, you will need to measure the force between the wires and the length of the wires. Then, you can use the formula I = F/L, where I is the current, F is the force, and L is the length.

2. What is the relationship between force and current in this method?

In this method, the force between the wires is directly proportional to the current. This means that as the force increases, the current will also increase, and vice versa.

3. Can I use this method for any type of wires?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of wires as long as you are able to accurately measure the force and length between them.

4. How accurate is the force/length method for finding the current between two wires?

The accuracy of this method depends on the accuracy of your measurements for the force and length between the wires. It is important to use precise instruments and techniques to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to using the force/length method for finding current?

One limitation of this method is that it only works for straight wires. If the wires are not straight, the force/length method may not provide accurate results. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for complex or non-uniform wire configurations.