Find the current I in this electrical circuit

In summary: I think that R series = 6 + 3 = 9ohm (I3)R parallel = 1/9 + 1/9 = 2/9 ohmR total = 9/2 ohm (I5)I = V/R = 9.6 / (4.5) = 2.1AClose to options 2A ? But I am not sure
gneill said:
If you want to work in fractions, write 9.6 as 96/10, then work through the fractions. Thus:

##I = \frac{96}{10} \left( \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{9} \right)\;A##

Yeah I thought of that too.

aa_o said:
Just a note - working in fractions, or just exact for that matter, is very nice in mathematics, but when solving basic physics problems like these, i see no benefit - it can even obscure the result which with a reduced fraction givs 64/15 A. This does not give an intuitive knowledge of the 'normal' kind of values for these problems.

I used to think that too. :oldbiggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
aa_o said:
Just a note - working in fractions, or just exact for that matter, is very nice in mathematics, but when solving basic physics problems like these, i see no benefit - it can even obscure the result which with a reduced fraction givs 64/15 A. This does not give an intuitive knowledge of the 'normal' kind of values for these problems.
When you're comfortable with fractions, then I feel that the fraction result conveys the same information. Besides, you can always reduce the final result to a decimal version quickly enough.

gneill said:
When you're comfortable with fractions, then I feel that the fraction result conveys the same information. Besides, you can always reduce the final result to a decimal version quickly enough.
Then I would highly recommend working symbolically, since this elucidates the relationships between the quantities in the configuration much clearer than does fractions. And this, too, will of course give the exact result if wished in the end.

aa_o said:
Then I would highly recommend working symbolically, since this elucidates the relationships between the quantities in the configuration much clearer than does fractions. And this, too, will of course give the exact result if wished in the end.
Of course. Work symbolically as much as possible. In the end you'll still have an expression that needs to have values substituted and the math performed.

Likes aa_o
If the 3 ohm and 9 ohm were series, then we found the answer 0,8 A which is on the options... so the 3 ohm and 9 ohm not series but parallel?

Of which diagram ?

BvU said:
Of which diagram ?
The #1 diagram

You can see that they are en parallel, since both of the resistor terminals (of the 3 and 9 ohm resistors) share the same nodes.
If there's no option for giving around 4.27 A as an answer, there is a mistake in the options.

Likes Asymptotic
This one

upload_2017-12-12_9-19-35.png

equals
upload_2017-12-12_9-20-2.png

equals
upload_2017-12-12_9-21-5.png
Which for some unspecified reason still shows a resistor between B and C in the post but not in the picture attached (below riight) ?:)

Obviously parallel , right ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_9-19-35.png
    upload_2017-12-12_9-19-35.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 322
  • upload_2017-12-12_9-20-2.png
    upload_2017-12-12_9-20-2.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 323
  • upload_2017-12-12_9-20-23.png
    upload_2017-12-12_9-20-23.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 395
  • upload_2017-12-12_9-21-5.png
    upload_2017-12-12_9-21-5.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 334
  • upload_2017-12-12_9-21-48.png
    upload_2017-12-12_9-21-48.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 386
Likes Helly123 and Asymptotic
Yet another way to think about it.

Circular-resistance3.jpg

If this handful of resistors and 9.6V battery were wired together it would be as though a jumper wire was connected across the 6Ω resistor.

What are the current path(s)?

A useful formula valid when two (and only two!) resistors are connected in parallel is Rt=(Ra*Rb)/(Ra+Rb).

Attachments

• Circular-resistance3.jpg
    Circular-resistance3.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 326
Likes Helly123
Thanks guys. How about this?
k1vt6b.jpg

Is the 6o hm (A) short circuit (jumper wire)?

8zr5gm.jpg

Is the BD short circuit (jumper wire)?

Attachments

• k1vt6b.jpg
    k1vt6b.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 750
  • 8zr5gm.jpg
    8zr5gm.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 303
Helly123 said:
Thanks guys. How about this? View attachment 216636
Is the BD short circuit (jumper wire)?
Can you draw a line from B to D without going through any components?

aa_o said:
Can you draw a line from B to D without going through any components?
I suppose, i can not, it goes through AB. Isnt it?

Helly123 said:
I suppose, i can not, it goes through AB. Isnt it?
Yes, so it is not shorted.

Likes Helly123
aa_o said:
Yes, so it is not shorted.
View attachment 216636

Last edited:
Helly123 said:
View attachment 216636

Let's ask this in another way. Is the voltage the same at both sides of the resistor?

Start at the positive battery terminal, and trace the circuit with your finger ...
Label the 6 ohm resistor "RA", one side of the resistor Z, and the other side Z'.
What is the voltage at Z?
9.6 volts.

And at Z'?
Also, 9.6 volts.

CircRes1.jpg

What does Ohm's law tell us? If the voltage is the same at both sides of the resistor (that is, voltage drop across the resistor is zero) then IRA=VRA/RA = 0 volts/6 ohms = 0 amps.

In effect, 6 ohm resistor RA is shorted by the "wire" between point Z and Z'.

In this drawing it's the same for connections between RA and RB. The only component with a voltage drop across it is the 9 ohm resistor RC.

Let's re-state the problem in yet another way.
RA is a 6 ohm resistor in parallel with a 0 ohm wire between point Z and Z'.
The general rule is that total resistance for two resistors in parallel is less than the smaller resistor. In this special case the smaller resistor is 0 ohms, and limits total resistance to 0 ohms.

Attachments

• CircRes1.jpg
    CircRes1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 361
Likes Helly123
Thank you for the explanation :)

Asymptotic said:
In this drawing it's the same for connections between RA and RB. The only component with a voltage drop across it is the 9 ohm resistor RC.

So both A and B are short circuit, because the voltage stream in left side and right side are zero. I see.