Find the current given length and magnetic field strength

In summary, the question is asking about the current in a long wire when the magnetic field strength 1.0 cm from the wire's axis is 55 mu T. The equation provided is F = I * L * B sin theta, but the angle and force are not given in the question.
warnexus

Homework Statement

What is the current in a long wire if the magnetic field strength 1.0 cm from the wire's axis is 55 mu T.

i know magnetic field strength which is 1 cm
i know the length which is 55 milli-tesla.
I need to find Current in Amperes which is I.

The chapter gives me the equation down below to use but the question does not give me an angle or a force.

Homework Equations

Use F = I * L * B sin theta

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you are looking for is here. Try it and you should get the answer.

warnexus said:

Homework Statement

..i know magnetic field strength which is 1 cm
i know the length which is 55 milli-tesla.
I need to find Current in Amperes which is I….

Check your inputs. It's not about finding the correct number, it's more about understanding the quantities and what they represent.

Related to Find the current given length and magnetic field strength

What is the formula for finding current given length and magnetic field strength?

The formula for finding current given length and magnetic field strength is I = B x L, where I is the current in amperes, B is the magnetic field strength in teslas, and L is the length of the conductor in meters.

How do you calculate the magnetic field strength given current and length?

To calculate the magnetic field strength given current and length, you can rearrange the formula to B = I / L. This will give you the magnetic field strength in teslas.

Can you use this formula for any type of conductor?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of conductor as long as the length is measured in meters and the magnetic field strength is measured in teslas.

What are the units for current and magnetic field strength?

The unit for current is amperes (A), while the unit for magnetic field strength is teslas (T).

How does length affect the current and magnetic field strength?

The length of the conductor directly affects the current and magnetic field strength. As the length increases, the current decreases and the magnetic field strength also decreases. Conversely, as the length decreases, the current increases and the magnetic field strength increases.