Hotmail someone trying to hack me?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: NateTGIt's probably someone you know being stupid. Last time I checked, Hotmail didn't have the best security in the world. Things might have improved, but I doubt that anyone with a clue would go after a random hotmail account with a dictionary attack.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the past week I have been getting errors, that I tried accessing my account too many times with the wrong password, so it locks me out and tells me to wait until the block is taken off

But I never used a wrong password any time [?]

Someone had the same experience? Maybe someone is trying to hack into my account.. that wouldn't be good.. nice friends I have..

Luckily I am able to bypass the block and get in anyway, but it is starting to annoy me.. let's see what hotmail has to say about it (when they take the effort to actually provide service).

Computer science news on Phys.org
Must be those 3r33t H07M41L haxstas..

- Warren

You must have a crummy password then. You need something like this:

wTtor2382*$pe25[]2340\'20347sflasfi/-+

I'm sure an old dictionary attack could get your password

Originally posted by chroot
Must be those 3r33t H07M41L haxstas..

- Warren
What?? *starts googling*

Contacting hotmail customer service has proven unsuccessfull btw

Originally posted by dduardo
You must have a crummy password then. You need something like this:

wTtor2382*$pe25[]2340\'20347sflasfi/-+

I'm sure an old dictionary attack could get your password
No, it wouldn't and I have been changing it frequently these past few days, just to be on the safe side..

Code:
No standard web pages containing all your search terms were found.

Your search - 3r33t H07M41L haxsta - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

- Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
    - Try different keywords.
    - Try more general keywords.
    - Try fewer keywords.

They're tricky -- I mean really tricky. You'll never spot them on google. No one knows they even exist. Except us.

- Warren

Monique,

Do you have a nose ring?

- Warren

They're tricky -- I mean really tricky. You'll never spot them on google. No one knows they even exist. Except us.

- Warren
Oh, wait, I once ran into that, yes, you mean software.. I was thinking a bug..

Monique,

Do you have a nose ring?
lol, another friend also asked me like that no, I must've smudged the picture with my touchpad when resizing or selecting the image, probably didn't have the select function on when I clicked on it hoped no one would notice

Originally posted by Monique
For the past week I have been getting errors, that I tried accessing my account too many times with the wrong password, so it locks me out and tells me to wait until the block is taken off

But I never used a wrong password any time [?]

Someone had the same experience? Maybe someone is trying to hack into my account.. that wouldn't be good.. nice friends I have..

Luckily I am able to bypass the block and get in anyway, but it is starting to annoy me.. let's see what hotmail has to say about it (when they take the effort to actually provide service).

It's probably someone you know being stupid. Last time I checked, Hotmail didn't have the best security in the world. Things might have improved, but I doubt that anyone with a clue would go after a random hotmail account with a dictionary attack.

An alternative explanation is that someone else misspelt their username.

PS, 4R3 U s00r3 that 37r337 chr007 |-|4XX0rS B1fF iS funny?

Last edited:
Again:

You have made too many unsuccessful sign-in attempts with an incorrect password for: ...

Your account is temporarily unavailable. This is a temporary delay that helps prevent someone else from guessing or obtaining your password.

Ok, time to make the password a little harder still without forgetting it myself..

Oh, wait, I once ran into that, yes, you mean software.. I was thinking a bug..
No, I mean the 3r33t H07M41L haxstas... they're practically invisible until *BAM* it's all over. They'll reorganize all your folders, I swear... every last one.
no, I must've smudged the picture with my touchpad when resizing or selecting the image
Good, good, I was thinking such a tacky piece of jewelry would spoil your pretty face.

- Warren

Originally posted by NateTG
37r337
37r337? Okay buddy, you're out of the secret club.

- Warren

I wonder if they log IP addresses at hotmail..

I just read that hotmail's customer service sucked. I won't expect more from a free service.

Well, your Ip address shows up on their server logs whenever you use hotmail..

Last edited:
Yes, it sucks.. and it is not free, I paid $20 or something to get extra storage..

You search and search and search, finally find a form which allows you to send them a message, you fill it in and send it, after which there is an error message and you never hear from them again.

Now I am locked out since about 24 hours already.. everytime I want to login I have to reset the password.. great.

Unregistered Eform source.
DCOPS tracking code : E234GH81.59.21.12022222U

bad! bad! hotmail! argh

Why do people use Hotmail anyway? What possible advantage does it have over any other kind of mail account?

- Warren

So which other mail accounts are good?

yahoooooooooo

Doesn't ever ISP on Earth offer a mail account? Heck, even physicsforums.com offers one. Mail accounts are everywhere.

If you want a really GOOD mail server, I've heard good things about mailshell.com.

- Warren

I don't like yahoo..

I like mailshell.com mainly because of its excellent spam filtering and disposable email address management.

- Warren

Disposable email address??

Any I never get any junkmail or spam, so that's no prob for me ::)

Today I read in the newspaper that 47% of all sent mail is junkmail, and that it will be about 54% in 2004..

People make money from sending junk mail. From average folks to millionnaires. That doesn't mean it's right, but I'd take that over the Government regulating Internet mail.

And there's loads of spam blocking software, and most are free.

Last edited:
You're allowed to put a "No Solicitors" sign on your door, and solicitors are required by law to heed it. The same should be true of an email box.

- Warren

Well this is the Internet, different countries have different laws and regulations. That maybe true here in the US but it won't apply in a foreign country where the e-mail is sent to.

Or we can also use copyright laws..

Link: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54645,00.html [Broken]
A hidden scrap of copyrighted poetry embedded in e-mails will be used to guarantee that any message containing the verse is spam free. And if spammers dare to hijack the haiku, they will be aggressively sued for copyright infringement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does someone have access to your cookies? (No pun.)
I mean do, you log in away from home and not check the "I'm away from home - for god's sake don't save cookies or logon information checkbox." Most sites have some sort of feature like this.

Cookies can be exhastively cracked. And windows has a nasy habit of saving your logon information in the user profile of the accounts you may use at school or work.

you may wan't to check this ou and or use passwords wih a good level of complexiy/obscuriy.

Good luck against the 1337 script kiddies.

Originally posted by Achy47
I mean do, you log in away from home and not check the "I'm away from home - for god's sake don't save cookies or logon information checkbox." Most sites have some sort of feature like this.

Cookies can be exhastively cracked. And windows has a nasy habit of saving your logon information in the user profile of the accounts you may use at school or work.

you may wan't to check this ou and or use passwords wih a good level of complexiy/obscuriy.

Good luck against the 1337 script kiddies.

Most reputable sites encrypt the information in cookies. However saved login information in IE and profiles on public computers can be a big concern.

Monique my sister often has the same problem you seem to be having. Have absolutely no useful advice to give you, but at least you can feel a little better that it's not just you that hotmail is screwing over.

You're allowed to put a "No Solicitors" sign on your door, and solicitors are required by law to heed it. The same should be true of an email box.

- Warren
And a regular mail box. But it doesn't work that way either.

I don't like yahoo..

why? WHY? WHY?

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
why? WHY? WHY?
Agreed, and why not simply empty out the account, change the name, get another account...they are free ('Cept your $20.00)...try Yahoo! too...

P.S. Couple of weeks ago, or as you put it "past weeks", did you load anything onto your computer that was new?, as pehaps you have acquired a bug? of sorts? have you tried symantec's site? they can scan(?) your computer for you and for the latest, or 'old' stuff too...

Last edited:
It is a fact that there exist downloadable programs supposedly able to hack hotmail accounts. The workings of the programs I know nothing about, but I have heard people complain that someone highjacked their hotmail account.

Originally posted by Achy47

Actually, the first thing I did when I noticed the problem is delete all my cookies I always check the 'don't remember email address' button on public computers too :)

originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons: Agreed, and why not simply empty out the account, change the name, get another account...they are free ('Cept your $20.00)...try Yahoo! too...

P.S. Couple of weeks ago, or as you put it "past weeks", did you load anything onto your computer that was new?, as pehaps you have acquired a bug? of sorts? have you tried symantec's site? they can scan(?) your computer for you and for the latest, or 'old' stuff too...
No, didn't load anything new.. thing seems to have blown over, I can login again normally and have once again changed the password just to be sure :) Let's see how it holds up over the next few days :)

Why I don't like yahoo.. I think it is ugly and unorganized looking :) and I never had problems with hotmail before. Is yahoo really that much safer?

Thanks for all the advice btw