Any String Theory book suggestion?

In summary, A good book for introducing string theory is The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. There may be some confusion with the spelling of his name, as there are two prominent string theorists with the last name Green(e). However, this book has been highly recommended by others and is useful for research projects.
pi-70679
Anybody has a suggestion for a good book introducing string theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Elegant Universe, by Brian Green(e). can't remember if there's an e at the end of his name or not. There's two prominent string theorist's with last names Green, one is Greene the other is Green, I always get so confused. Anyway I think someone here already did a review on it.

Thanks a lot, it's for a research project, so it's going to be quite useful.

Originally posted by climbhi
The Elegant Universe, by Brian Green(e). can't remember if there's an e at the end of his name or not. There's two prominent string theorist's with last names Green, one is Greene the other is Green, I always get so confused. Anyway I think someone here already did a review on it.

LOL
Yes, Brian Greene's name has an "e" at the end. And I second climbhi's suggestion. I think it's probably the best introduction in existence.

1. What is the best string theory book for beginners?

There are many great string theory books for beginners, but some popular options include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "String Theory for Dummies" by Andrew Zimmerman Jones, and "The Little Book of String Theory" by Steven S. Gubser.

2. Are there any string theory books that are suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, there are several string theory books that are written for a general audience and do not require a strong background in science or mathematics. Some examples include "The Cosmic Landscape" by Leonard Susskind and "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene.

3. What are some advanced string theory books for those with a strong background in physics?

For those with a strong background in physics, "String Theory: An Introduction to the Bosonic String" by Joseph Polchinski and "Superstring Theory: The DNA of Reality" by Leonard Susskind are both highly recommended. "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose is also a comprehensive resource for advanced string theory concepts.

4. Do any string theory books focus specifically on the mathematical aspects of the theory?

Yes, "String Theory, Vol. 1: An Introduction to the Bosonic String" and "String Theory, Vol. 2: Superstring Theory and Beyond" both by Joseph Polchinski, are highly regarded for their detailed mathematical explanations of string theory.

5. Are there any string theory books that cover the history and development of the theory?

"The First Three Minutes" by Steven Weinberg and "The Trouble with Physics" by Lee Smolin both provide historical context and a critical examination of the development of string theory. "The Theory of Everything" by Stephen Hawking also includes a brief overview of string theory and its significance in the search for a unified theory of physics.