Find the Centripetal Acceleration at 2.5m from a Rotating Platform

In summary, the question asks for the centripetal acceleration experienced by a person at a distance of 2.5 m from the center of a rotating platform, given that another person at a distance of 4.3 m experiences a centripetal acceleration of 56m/s^2. Using the formula v = ω * r, the first person's initial velocity can be found to be 4.907m/s. Then, using the same formula with the new radius, the second person's velocity can be found to be 2.84m/s. Plugging this into the formula for centripetal acceleration, the answer is found to be 3.3m/s.
rafay233

Homework Statement

A person is on a horizontal rotating platform at a distance of 4.3 m from its centre. This preson experiences a centripetal acceleration of 56m/s^2. What is the centripetal acceleration is experienced by another person who is at a distance of 2.5 m from the centre of the platform?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

centripetal acceleration= [itex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]
=5.6=[itex]\frac{v^2}{4.3}[/itex]
v=4.907m/scentripetal acceleration= [itex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{4.9^2}{2.5}[/itex]
= 9.6m/s^2
I know that is not the right answer because it should be lower when closer to the center.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
uhh guys i don't know why it looks like that. Only read the first three stuff please.

Thank you

rafay233 said:
uhh guys i don't know why it looks like that. Only read the first three stuff please.

Thank you

disregard that message please. i fixed the first post

Okay guys I figured this out, but don't know why this works.

4.9m/s*1/4.3m = 1.14s

1.14*2.5= 2.84m/s

(2.84m/s)^2/2.5m = 3.246 = centripetal acceleration

the answer is 3.3m/s

Btw I am not doing this to bump the thread, that is if it's possible.

Last edited:
ω
rafay233 said:

Homework Statement

A person is on a horizontal rotating platform at a distance of 4.3 m from its centre. This preson experiences a centripetal acceleration of 56m/s^2. What is the centripetal acceleration is experienced by another person who is at a distance of 2.5 m from the centre of the platform?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

=5.6=[itex]\frac{v^2}{4.3}[/itex]
v=4.907m/s

= [itex]\frac{4.9^2}{2.5}[/itex]
= 9.6m/s^2
I know that is not the right answer because it should be lower when closer to the center.

the RED needs your attention.
Also

the linear velocity changes based on the radius. ANGULAR (ω) velocity remains constant though.

the first Centripetal Acc is correct the second one is wrong.

formula to use v = ω * r

use the initial v and r to find ω.

then use ω and new r to find new v.

then find the correct second Centripetal Acc

Last edited:
rafay233 said:
Okay guys I figured this out, but don't know why this works.

4.9m/s*1/4.3m = 1.14s

1.14*2.5= 2.84m/s

(2.84m/s)^2/2.5m = 3.246 = centripetal acceleration

the answer is 3.3m/s

Btw I am not doing this to bump the thread, that is if it's possible.

its called the EDIT button. please learn to use it.

Genoseeker said:
its called the EDIT button. please learn to use it.

K sorry for being a noob, I thought it would be better if I made another post instead of editing the other one.

Related to Find the Centripetal Acceleration at 2.5m from a Rotating Platform

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to a rotating platform?

A rotating platform causes the objects on it to move in circular paths. The force that keeps these objects moving in the circle is called centripetal force. This force is directed towards the center of the platform and its magnitude is equal to the centripetal acceleration of the objects.

3. What is the formula for finding centripetal acceleration at a given distance from a rotating platform?

The formula for finding centripetal acceleration at a given distance from a rotating platform is a = v^2/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the distance from the center of the platform to the object.

4. How can the centripetal acceleration be calculated using experimental data?

To calculate the centripetal acceleration using experimental data, you will need to measure the speed of the object and the radius of its circular path. Then, plug these values into the formula a = v^2/r to find the centripetal acceleration at that specific distance from the rotating platform.

5. How does changing the distance from the rotating platform affect the centripetal acceleration?

As the distance from the rotating platform increases, the centripetal acceleration decreases. This is because the centripetal acceleration is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the platform. So, the farther away an object is from the center, the weaker the centripetal acceleration will be.