Find the atom using a quantum oracle

In summary: I'm not sure how to generalize my algorithm, but if we have 5 atoms then the algorithm would be the same, but if we had more than 5 then it would be different. And as for n atoms, I'm not sure how it would work.
emmadun
Homework Statement
I came across a difficult problem that literally blocked my mind and i am not able to solve it in any way. Any help or guidance would be appreciated! Here is the problem:

A newly discovered particle consist of n-atoms and m-bidirectional bonds between them (we are sure the particle is not disconnected). There is exactly one golden atom among the n-atoms and you want to find it with the help of quantum oracle. It allows you to pick a connected set of atoms and tells whether or not the golden atom is among them. You would like to determine a strategy to find the golden atom quickly. You don’t have to ask exactly the minimum possible number of queries. just be efficient.
Relevant Equations
n - atoms
My attempted solutions was, for example let's say we have 4 atoms, and if i ask the oracle about any two atoms that are connected by edge, i can narrow done some possibilities to two atoms.
I'm still not sure where i am going with my solution, but if any of you can think this through and come up with a different strategy or a strategy connecting to mine, i would gladly appreciate it, cause it would help me A LOT.
Thank you! :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3 KB · Views: 222
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for a computer science class?

I don't understand the relevance of the bidirectional bonds or why it's important that all particles are connected.

When you say "golden atom" are you speaking specifically about gold (i.e., [itex] \rm{\ _{79}Au} [/itex])? Is this problem for a chemistry class?

Yes, it is in my computer science class.
The bidirectional bonds are relevant so that we now how each atom is connected.
And no, i am not trying to find a LITERAL gold atom, you can think it as any color really, but the point was HOW you can find that "specific" atom (the gold one, in our problem) through a algorithm or come up with a strategy on how you can find it. Various codes can be written, but it is not required. We just need to give an explanation of our strategy on finding it.

I just want to make sure that the bonds don't matter. Does the golden atom bond differently than the other atoms? In your figure, one of the atoms has three bonds, one at has one bond, and all the other atoms have two bonds. Or does none of that matter?

If the nature of the bonds do not matter, then yes, this problem is relevant for an optimal search algorithm taught in a computer science class.

I have to ask because the problem statement specifically said, "...and m-bidirectional bonds between them." Your attached figure shows both n and m equal to 4. But what if there were 4 atoms (n=4) but there were 5 bonds (m=5)? Why is the number of bonds important enough to mention?

no, it does not bond differently and i think from my perspective, the nature of the bonds are not that relevant, they are stated in the problem so we have an idea of how the atoms are connected i guess. (i mean i wouldn't know for sure but i think i am right)
Basically what is important for us is to find the quickest way to find that specific atom among a bunch of other atoms

emmadun said:
no, it does not bond differently and i think from my perspective, the nature of the bonds are not that relevant, they are stated in the problem so we have an idea of how the atoms are connected i guess. (i mean i wouldn't know for sure but i think i am right)
Basically what is important for us is to find the quickest way to find that specific atom among a bunch of other atoms
Ok then, Let's ignore the bonds and focus on the atoms.

You're on the right track. Can you generalize your algorithm? What if there were 5 atoms? Now what if there were 6 atoms? What about 128 atoms? And finally n atoms?

Related to Find the atom using a quantum oracle

1. What is a quantum oracle?

A quantum oracle is a theoretical concept in quantum computing that acts as a "black box" for a specific problem. It takes in a quantum state as input and produces a quantum state as output, providing information about the solution to the problem.

2. How does a quantum oracle help in finding an atom?

A quantum oracle can be programmed to search through a large number of possible locations for an atom and provide information about its presence or absence. This can greatly speed up the process of finding a specific atom, which would be difficult and time-consuming using traditional methods.

3. What is the role of quantum mechanics in using a quantum oracle to find an atom?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It provides the principles and laws that govern the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms. In using a quantum oracle to find an atom, the laws of quantum mechanics are utilized to manipulate and measure the quantum states of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using a quantum oracle to find an atom?

Yes, there are limitations to the accuracy and effectiveness of a quantum oracle in finding an atom. The success of the search depends on the complexity of the problem and the precision of the quantum states used. Additionally, the technology for implementing quantum computing is still in its early stages and has not yet reached the level of practicality for widespread use.

5. How can the use of a quantum oracle in finding an atom impact scientific research?

The ability to efficiently find and manipulate individual atoms has significant implications for various fields of scientific research, such as materials science, chemistry, and biology. It can aid in the development of new materials, drugs, and technologies, as well as provide a deeper understanding of the building blocks of our world at a fundamental level.