Find the area beween the curves y=x^2 and x+y=2 and the x axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area between the curves $y=x^2$ and $x+y=2$ and the x-axis. The experts suggest finding the area of the bigger part and then subtracting out the area of the smaller part, similar to finding the area of a whole pizza with a piece missing. They mention finding the intersection points of the curves, with one being $x=-2$ and the other being $x=1$. Finally, they discuss different approaches for finding the area, with some disagreement on the correct result.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Find the area beween the curves $y=x^2$ and $x+y=2$ and the x axis

First on graphing these the $x-axis$ seem irrelevant in that it is outside the area to find.

[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]y=x^2;y=-x+2[/desmos]

Physics news on Phys.org
How would we find the area between each curve and the x-axis individually?

Where do these curves intersect?

Set the equations equal to each other.
$x=-2$ $x=1$

karush said:
Set the equations equal to each other.
$x=-2$ $x=1$

Good! Ok, so now to find the area between them we need to find the area of the bigger part and then subtract out the area of of the smaller part. Just like if we had a whole pizza with a piece missing, we could take the area of the whole pizza minus the area of one slice to find the area of the whole pizza with a piece missing.

In this problem, which function has a larger area or put another way, which function is larger than the other over the interval?

$\int_{-2 }^{1 } (-x^2 - x+2)\,dx$
$\left[-\frac{{x}^{3}}{2 }-\frac{x}{2}+2x \right]^1_{-2}=\frac{9}{2}$

I hope

I am thinking, given the original problem statement, that you are to find the following area:

View attachment 4411

Attachments

• karush3.png
    karush3.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 68
For the interval $0\le x\le2$ I get $-\frac{2}{3}$

Did you set it up as:

\(\displaystyle A=\int_0^1 x^2\,dx+\int_1^2 2-x\,dx\) ?

No that would be 2/3

I get a different result, but I can't tell where you and I differ without seeing your work...:D

Yes, you are correct Mark. Sorry for misreading the question karush. I was thinking of this region in light green but Mark is correct. :)

[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]y<x^2\left\{-2<x<1\right\};x+y<2\left\{-2<x<1\right\};[/desmos]

No problem, how did you get the shading in demos?

Related to Find the area beween the curves y=x^2 and x+y=2 and the x axis

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two curves?

The formula for finding the area between two curves is given by the definite integral: A = ∫(f(x) - g(x))dx, where f(x) and g(x) are the two curves and the integral is taken within the bounds of their intersection points.

2. How do I know which curve to subtract from the other when finding the area between them?

The curve that is closer to the x-axis should be subtracted from the curve that is farther away. This ensures that the area between the curves is always positive.

3. Can I use any method other than integration to find the area between curves?

No, integration is the only method that can accurately calculate the area between two curves. Other methods, such as using rectangles or trapezoids, may provide an estimate but will not give the exact value of the area.

4. How do I find the intersection points of the two curves?

To find the intersection points, set the two equations equal to each other and solve for x. These x-values will give you the points of intersection, which can then be used as the bounds for the definite integral.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve for the area between two curves?

Yes, it is important to first determine the intersection points, then set up the definite integral with the correct bounds, and finally solve the integral using integration techniques. Skipping any of these steps may result in an incorrect answer.